Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will fish fertilizer work against scale as well as Fish Emulsion?

Posted by mcgyvr2009i Schenectady, NY 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 14:48

I bought something called Fish Fertilizer according to the product but the label said "Fish Emulsion Fertilizer." It's basically fish feces and boy does it smell like it. This is what I bought.

at Lowes.

Is this the same thing? If not, will it at least destroy the scale infestation? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will fish fertilizer work against scale as well as Fish Emuls

Let me rephrase what I said. The product label said "Fish Fertilizer" while the shelf label where the price is displayed usually underneath the product said "Fish Emulsion Fertilizer."

o

MC, I'm 99% certain your Fish Fertilizer is Fish Emulsion.
NPK, 5-1-1 is the same.

What its size? Ounces? half or full gallon? It looks large.

One of my FE is Alaskan, but much smaller than your container, without a handle.

Yes, FE has an odor... :)
FE killed a scale-infested Olive tree received from an online nursery, and citrus branches on either side of Olive.

I spray FE in autumn, as a preventative before plants come indoors.
While spraying leaves for insects, FE also acts as a foliar feeding.
It's also used like any other fertilizer.. Add water, then fertilize soil. Toni

PS. Odor lasts 2-3 days indoors.

o

Awesome. So I did what you said. I mixed a capful with 16oz of water, sprayed those mongrels and now I'm awaiting results. 24 hours you said?

o

Mc...It took less than 24-hours to rid scale on my plants, hopefully, you'll have similiar success.

When did you spray with FE? Today?

o

Just a few minutes before posting the response you just responded to.

o

this is fe or at least it better be, its the same kind I just bought for the same purposes lol

from what I understand fe is the liquid remains after processing fish for fish oil and fish meal.

it looks like chocolate pudding and smells like the aftermath of an apocalyptic deluge.

o

I'd like to know the type of plant you're spraying.

o

I'd like to know the type of plant you're spraying.

o

How much FE do i use for scale, i am spraying Lipstick vine, Arrowhead, Areca palmree, Corn Plant, Bougainvillea,Spider Plant, Coleus, Money Tree,English Ivy, Hypoestes, Philodendron. I also bought Bayer 3 in 1, new soil, i have read all the posts on this site...now i am so confused as what to use...So i bought Neem Oil, Pyrethrin, horticultural oil, i cannot find Brand X, or i would of bought that also. Diatomaceous Earth. Please help. Oh yes.... alchohol, dawn soap & q-tips really? I would spend the rest of my life on that lol.

o

How much FE do i use for scale, i am spraying Lipstick vine, Arrowhead, Areca palmree, Corn Plant, Bougainvillea,Spider Plant, Coleus, Money Tree,English Ivy, Hypoestes, Philodendron. I also bought Bayer 3 in 1, new soil, i have read all the posts on this site...now i am so confused as what to use...So i bought Neem Oil, Pyrethrin, horticultural oil, i cannot find Brand X, or i would of bought that also. Diatomaceous Earth. Please help. Oh yes.... alchohol, dawn soap & q-tips really? I would spend the rest of my life on that lol.

o

Morning,

Srad. You descrbed FE to a T. :)

Mcg..do you see scale?

Pigtails. You bought all the insecticdes you named? My God, if you use all of the above, at the same time, you'll kill the bugs and plants. lol.

Seriously, do you have access to the insecticides you named? Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here