Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying Plant Fatsia Japonica?

Posted by Ziyi none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 15:00

Hi, bascially my plant is dying and fairly fast too it seems.
My father lost the name tab for it but i remember it saying Caster oil Plant, though i am fairly sure it is actually a Fatsia Japonica looking around online.
The plant has for as long as i remember seemed to be stable if a little saggy looking, but it got a lot more so recently.

Some of the new leaves had started looked perky and roughly 2 weeks ago they just plumited as did all the older ones, very wilted and saggy to the point that they were flat against the main trunk.
This week the stems darkened and got literally floppy.
I only really noted how severe this last couple of days when i got real close to took at it and noticed complete lack of strength in the stems, like string basically, especially at the start of the stems.

I had seen the plant have minor moment before but it always recovered and never had leaves etc go bad like this. so i am ratehr peved that i didn't react sooner for help.

Anyway i removed lots of the leaves as they seemed so bad they would be doing harm to the rest of the plant, but now i am left with just the top 2 leaves and they are drooping more than in theese 3 pictures..

Copy and paste urls to view teh 3 large images.
http://postimg.org/image/597imhi9b/full/
http://postimg.org/image/w64tggtd1/full/
http://postimg.org/image/6lwwcvbw9/full/

I know there are 3 leafs in the pics but was taken 2 days ago but the bottem leaf took a nose dive at base of stem, going almost black next to the other 2, both of which are not looking as green now :(

Does anyone know what if anything i can do to salvage the plant, i bascially inherited it from my mother when she passed away 6 years ago, This is one of only 2 plants she managed to keep alive and was proud of. i have always left it alone doing nothing fancy other than watering it once a week or fortnight, which seemed to do the job until now.

By the way the plant is roughly 3 feet tall now, and my father actually repotted it about a year ago, which caused much of the green main stem (trunk) growth to happen quicker than i had seen before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying Plant Fatsia Japonica?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 18:03

It's not Ricinis (castor bean), and almost undoubtedly it's being over-watered.

Al

o

The plant is a Fatsia japonica or commonly known as Japanese Aralia.

The plant is gone, sorry to say. You best bet would be to cut it apart and look for any like trunk, that you can make cuttings from.

I see this is in a very large glazed ceramic container, this is the cause of its death. If it doesn't have drainage holes, this is the cause. If it doesn't it is because it is to large of a container and very thick, which doesn't allow the soil to properly dry out.

This post was edited by cooljjay on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 21:56

o

I don't know where you live but in most of the UK you can grow this outdoors in the ground. They are very forgiving, easy to grow and pretty hard to kill. I do not believe it is any thing like doomed. It looks as if it has been overwatered and underlit, that's all. If you can give me a rough idea of where you live I can tell you if it can go in the ground. If you live somewhere with really chilly winters I'd repot into a nice big container with new container compost. Hold back on the watering. Keep it in the garden until there have been a few frosts before bringing it into the lightest coolest place you have inside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fatsia japonica

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here