Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starlightbotanist

Name this plant

Starlight Botanist
10 years ago

This plant was given to us at a wedding a year ago and was just a sprout. We were told it was a mum.

My fiancé and I have grown to love growing housr plants in put apt. We have a boxwood on the deck, an elephant bush, lucky bamboo, a Chinese evergreen, and a philodendron.

We both feel this is definitely not a mum, and don't know the best way to care for it.

Comments (12)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Howdy,

Looks like Kalanchoe to me. Toni

• VGardenProject
    10 years ago

It reminds me of Kalanchoe blossfeldiana, far from the mum.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

It reminds me of a sedum, it's not like any mum I've ever seen, :>) Has it flowered yet??
    Christine

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Yep...it's a Kalanchoe.

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

It definitely is a Kalanchoe. These are short day plants, they will bloom after a period of long nights with total darkness.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Smish, I agree with Pelargonium about Kalanchoes being short-day plants.

Do you summer plants outdoors?

I don't bother with short days inside..chance of forgetting.

Instead, my Kals remain outside until first frost. Since days shorten until winter approaches, most Kals bloom from late Feb until July.

IMO, most Kals bloom, given short days or not, However,
    K. blossfeldiana requires short days before flowering.

Pelargonium. Did you choose your screen name because you love/grow Pels? Toni

• VGardenProject
    10 years ago

The most common color is orange but they come in other colors

• Starlight Botanist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey i wanted to update on this plant. Yes toni, we summer outdoors on a deck. It grew huge, so huge over the summer. We are wintering it in a WNW window(best we have). If it doesn't thrive in this light, we have some lights we can supplement with. Night temps are random here lately. 3 or 4 nights a week below freezing, 3 or 4 nights in the 50s....... bi-polar weather!!

We are giving the long night treatment a try, Started last night, with a 14 hour night.

{{gwi:94580}}

Will update with blooms, I am curious to see exactly how long it takes from the start of long nights till full bloom!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

First, I'd like to make a correction regarding my above comment.
    Certain Kalanchoes are short day plants, but not all. Sorry about that.

However, Smish, your Kalanchoe, 'which is gorgeous,' looks like blossfeldiana, so short days are needed.

But, Kals aren't as fussy about exact daylight time, as Poinsetta. And in some cases, Amaryllis and Thanksgiving Cactus.

I think my Kalancho, 'below pic,' is blossfeldiana..I don't do anything special other than keep outside until first, and sometimes second frost. If the garage light is turned on at night, it doesn't effect flowering.

{{gwi:77549}}

Hey, your bi-polar zone 7 sounds like our bi-polar zone 5. Amazing!

Good luck, Toni

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

hopefulauthor, I indeed chose my screen name after my love for pelargoniums - and other plants. :)

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

In my view, definitely Kalanchoe blossfeldiana, the most common Kalanchoe available. Originally the flowers were red, now they come in many hues, and also with double flowers.

Christopher

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

It's a very nice looking plant, grown a lot. Sending flower vibes!