Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red dots on plant

Posted by littlemonster none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 15:08

I'm trying to figure out how to save this plant. Can anyone tell me what these dots are and what I should do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red dots on plant

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 15:47

You have a scale infestation. Probably best to treat with with a horticultural oil that is listed as effective on scale. It will probably be labeled "Summer", "Perfect", or "All-Season" Horticultural Oil. Making sure to follow directions explicitly and cover all surfaces of leaves & stems with special attention paid to undersides of leaves and all the nooks & crannies.

Al

o

You may wish to share with us what kind of plant this is....just in case. Some are sensitive to horticultural oils...not many but enough to be a little bit cautious.

Be sure to check your other plants carefully, too.

o

Thanks for the advice tapla. Will give it a try:)

Rhizo - I'm not sure what kind of plant it is. I'm newer at this sort of thing. Can you tell from the photo?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 19:47

It's a schefflera, and hort oil is appropriate for that plant if you'd like to try it. Read the label before you buy & before you use .... as with all insecticidal products. To help avoid any problems with over-watering, you should allow your plant to become quite dry before you soak the soil thoroughly - then repeat.

Al

o

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll give it a shot

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here