Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
well that was fast!!

Posted by KatherynIridaceae none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 15:10

I took two small cuttings off of a mature spider plant and tucked them in the soil around a large peace lily that has plenty of space between it and the edge of the pot... two days after I planted them i gave one a very gentle tug and to my surprise it was well and securely rooted!! nothing I have ever planted has rooted that quickly. I wonder if I have to worry about it taking over the pot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: well that was fast!!

So far they are cohabitating nicely.

o

They've doubled in size in two weeks. I don't know if I am happy or concerned.

o

Now THAT's a good-size pot for huge spider plant roots. I think you'll be happy with that, and that the plants will be happy as well. I've paired spider plant with many companions and the only problem is that the spider plant roots are so big. Starting with babies like that, it will take a quite a while for the roots to get huge and fill the pot. I love having short plants as a lower layer if a lot of soil is visible like that. The more companions, the fewer pots.

o

I agree. Be warned, I have had spider plants choke its companions before

o

I intend to remove them when they get to a certain size. I have a pot with some annuals in it, when they shuffle off the spider babies will have their own home, and the peace lily will get a new companion.
I was thinking creeping jenny. It's annual in my zone, might make it inside over the winter but i like the idea of it dying off and being replaced with whatever strikes my fancy. That's the only pot I have that's big enough to play with like that, so I can justify the expense and energy.

o

That all sounds like tons of fun- good luck!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here