Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drlovemclean

Houseplant or not?

drlovemclean
11 years ago

I've had this plant for over a year and it always looks sickly. I've placed it inside, outside, in sun, out of the sun, ect. and can't seem to find place where is can thrive. Is it a houseplant and how do I care for it? TIA!

Comments (10)

• raelynn09
    11 years ago

What you have is some sort of philodendron (hederaceum maybe? I'm not a philo pro... yet )

Easy plant to care for, It can tolerate low light, but that doesn't mean It'll thrive in low light. I would keep it near a window, allowing maybe 2 to 4 hours of sun a day, if that. IME philodendrons thrive the most when you pay the least attention to them! The yellowing leaves may be nutrient deficiency, but I'm almost certain it may need a repotting into a well draining soil. Dense and super water retentive soils are the number-one killer of houseplants!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Totally agree about needing to repot (remove all of the old soil, trim circling or too-long roots.) This plant's not too picky about light, but can't live indefinitely in really bad soil. It looks wilty dry.

It also looks like that may be a plastic pot inside a decorative pot without a hole in the bottom. If so, never let water sit in the bottom of the pot. Whenever it's time to water, take the plastic pot out, to a sink or shower, and soak it until water runs out of the hole in the bottom. When it's stopped dripping, (at least an hour,) it can go back in the decorative pot. Then wait until it feels very lightweight again to water.

There may also be spider mites on the back of the leaves. Do you see any spider webbing? Anything else that looks like it's not part of the plant?

No reason not to trim the brown parts off, if you're interested. Those spots could be sunburn if its' visit outside was sudden (from being inside to having the sun beat directly on it outside.) Those leaves can't heal.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    11 years ago

I don't think that it is a philodendren, it looks like a variety of Rhaphidophora tetrasperma, an aroid which is related to Philodendren but not closely. Probably more closely related to Monstera and Epiprenum. It is an asian species, Philos are new world species.

http://araceum.abrimaal.pro-e.pl/rhaphidophora/tetrasperma.htm

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Rhaphidophora%20tetraspema%20pc.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaphidophora

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

IMO, it's a toss-up between Philodendron or Anthurium.

I don't believe your plant has Spider Mites; instead it seems to be over-watered. Soil looks quite heavy.

Definately needs more humidity, and a porous/well-drained/fertile soil.

How often do you move around? Find one spot, place in bright-indirect sun, pot in lighter soil, mist/shower and/or set on pebble tray and let be.

Relocating from area 1 to area 2 to area 3 can cause problems. Allow your plant to acclimate in one location.

Your plant is very nice..with a slight change it will be a beauty. Toni

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

Monstera

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Dr. Love,

This plant is an Aroid right? Has anyone suggested posting this over at the Aroid Forum (of GW)?

Likely, they'll be able to ID your plant & also share possible care suggestions.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    11 years ago

Rhaphidophora are commonly misidentified and sold as Monstera.

Care would be as Toni(hopefulauthor) mentioned but I do not believe it to be any of the other plants mentioned in this thread (Philodendron, Anthurium or Monstera.

Danny

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Monstera seedlings look a lot like that, but then so does Rhaphidophora tetrasperma. The Monstera will grow large but the other won't. I've got some growing up a tree, bought it as "Little Monster". With that label used in nurseries many people do think of it as a dwarf form of M. deliciosa.

That particular plant does look like it's got too much water, probably as pointed out, poorly draining soil. Mine's on the trunk of a tree with the roots running down the bark. Can't get better drainage than that, and the plant likes it. It's a much faster grower than M. deliciosa. Some people have it in hanging pots and just wind the vines around the pot and supports.

• stewartsjon
    11 years ago

Looks to me like a very old Anthurium.

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

Drlove, your leaves just haven't began to split yet, I grow this as well and very certain that it is monstera deliciosa

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations