Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please tell me what this is-- :)

Posted by Lamora 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 15:21

Hi all.. I feel so stupid right now.. I know this is a Bromeliad.. but what is the common name for it? I lost the tag and didnt write it down right away, now i am not remembering what it is.. Can someone please be kind enough to tell me her name? I normally write it down, I just didnt this time..
Photobucket

Thanks
Marjie :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please tell me what this is-- :)

Don't know its common name, I think botanically, it MAY be called Achmea (or Guzmania). Sorry, I don't know much about its care.

Nice!

o

Guzmania - Empire by the look of it.

Keep fairly dry - unless you're keeping it somewhere incredibly hot, resist the temptation to water into the crown as this makes them rot.

Don't know the one on the right...

o

Howdy,

The plant on the right is Hoya carnosa.

Marj, your plant is a Bromeliad in the Bromeliaceae family. Your Bromiliad is Aechmea. Pronounced Ouk me uh, accent on the first syllable. lol.

Remember the plant your sweetie gave you some time back? The plant offshoots grow, and mom fades away?
This Bromiliad is similiar in care. It can last forever.

Very pretty. Toni

o

Hi Toni,

Perhaps you missed the comment just above yours which IDed this as a Guzmania empire, which photos match this plant.

On searching for Aechmea the search result pix don't match this at all.

o

Karen, thank you.. no, I didn't see SJ's comment.

Marj, in spite of my ID error, care is the same. Toni

o

Thanks all.
pirate-- i think your right about the name of it, :) I looked at both and Guzmania looks like it.

Stewart-- i didnt know about watering in the crown- I think that is where i have been watering. In the funnles of the leaves... is that the same thing? I thought that is were you were supposed to water these. If not-- please tell me now!!

toni- the one my sweetie gave me,, well the mom is dying real slow, about half is dead now. When should I cut her out? The pups dont seem to be developing into plants-- just leaves.. is it supposed to do that? then develope later on? Has me bugged not knowing what it is supposed to do. I can find care on it and what not, just now HOW it develops or the time frame.. like i said, has me bugged.

But thank you all for the proper name-- very helpful indeed.
Marjie :)

o

Marj, is the flower gone?

Pups should be removed when they're one-third or one-half the size as mom.

Your first Brom is a lot more complex than other types.
Guzmania pups are a easier to deal with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here