Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusboss

What Chinese Evergreen cultivar is this?

CactusBoss
10 years ago

I've had this plant for a year and it just loves my bathroom. what cultivar is it though?

Comments (11)

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hi Cactus Boss,

I can't tell you which cultivar...there's soooo many.

But we can rule out Decora, Marie and Cutlass. lol.

At first glance, especially top photo, I thought your Aglaonema was Decora, but your plant has too many green splashes in the center.

Sorry about that.

There's a seller on Ebay, 'can't recall his name,' who sells various Aglao cultivars..
    Type Aglaonema in the seach box. The last time I looked, he was still selling Aglaos. I bought a few from him in 2009..

Hope you get an ID.

BTW, love your Aglao... Toni

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hopefulauthor, it is a great plant. lost a few leaves because I forgot to water but it's loving the humidity of the bathroom and flowers every year! I do not get red berries after it flowers like I've heard from some people.

• nancy_pnwzone8
    10 years ago

i would guess Jubilee or Petite Jubilee (the two are very similar and are often confused).

do a google image search and see if that name looks like your plant.

cheers,

nancy

• rosebuddy
    10 years ago

I would agree that it is aglaonema jubilee

This post was edited by rosebuddy on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 17:32

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would I be able to take a stem cutting of this plant?

• Calvin Ragoonanan
    10 years ago

Yes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trini Garden

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So would I be able to take a cutting of a single leaf?

• nancy_pnwzone8
    10 years ago

cactus,

no, a single leaf won't grow. you need some of the stem. i think i read somewhere that an *ideal* aglaonema stem cutting should have 5 leaves, i've gotten away with 3. more than 5 will likely work fine as well. these are some of the easiest plants to propagate.

cheers,

nancy

• CactusBoss
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do I need to let them sit out? Do they work best in water or soil? and is regular potting soil okay? I'm eyeing this. How long will it take to root?

This post was edited by CactusBoss on Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 19:05

• nancy_pnwzone8
    10 years ago

cactus,

when you say that you're eyeing "this", are you talking about the older stems (with brown leaf scales) or the new sprout?

if you're talking about the older stalks, cut them with a clean sharp knife or razor blade an inch or two below where the leaves are attached. place the stem cutting in water or a damp cuttings media such as perlite. i don't use potting soil for rooting, but some other folks do. i don't think that it's the best choice though. cuttings placed in media may need to be lightly covered with plastic to keep the humidity up - but don't seal it tight or you'll get mold.

the only time i have allowed the ends of cuttings to dry before rooting was when i did cane cuttings that had no leaves (ie both the top and bottom of the piece had been cut). i'm not sure if this helped or not, but most of them took.

as a bonus, the stub of stem that is left behind in the pot will often, or usually, sprout new leaves.

if you're talking about the new sprout, i wouldn't try cutting it at or above the surface of your potting soil. if you want to separate this growth, you're going to need to de-pot the plant, knock off the soil, and examine the plant. often, a sprout at this stage will already have a few small roots of its own, though most of its water and nutrition is still coming from the mother stem. personally, i'd leave it until it was a bit older to separate. that way the plant will for sure have more roots and dormant buds of it's own.

cheers,

nancy