Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree illness?

Posted by apham317 Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 15:27

My father noticed something weird with the tree on our lawn today and was wondering what could be going on with it, the bark has started chipping off, etc. We also believe our tree is an oak. Any and all responses would be helpful! Thanks for your time!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree illness?

This is the Houseplant Forum, apham, you may wish to repost this question in the Tree Forum. That's what I would do.

Be sure to include your location, and maybe more pictures of the tree so that we can see overall condition.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 15:49

Its difficult to tell much from the picture, but it looks like a mechanical injury from a mower or other equipment that may have wound wood beginning to roll over the injury, dislodging some bark in the process.

It's not clear if there is any seepage associated with the dark discolored wood toward the bottom of the wound and toward the right. If there is a wet area below the wood or it smells foul, suspect a condition called bacterial wetwood or slime flux. If confirmed, there is no treatment that will stop the progression of the malady. Given the position on the tree it's likely any disease would have occurred from a mechanical injury or damage to a root immediately below the wound.

Try the 'trees' forum for confirmation or other thoughts.

Al

o

Of cause,the tree is sick,attacked by insects.Have it whitewashed(Limewater?i amnot sure what its name in your country)would be OK!

o

jose, I am afraid that there is no evidence of insect damage at all. We need to see more images. Physical injury is a big possibility since we can see grass growing right up to the trunk. Lawnmower and weedeater damage is common place. And such damage can very well result in disease. As a matter of fact, it's just that type of simple damage that introduces some of the worst of the tree diseases.

But....we have no evidence of anything We need more information.

o

I meant to add, apham, that there are some very deadly tree issues going on in Texas right now...so it would be worthwhile for you to take some very good pictures of your tree to your local extension office for some regional assistance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here