Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's on my plant?

Posted by doubleAmom 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 15:30

My purple passion plant sits among several spider plants and a purple waffle plant. I've noticed this white stuff on the leaves but am not sure what it is. I've also found many tiny green bugs on the plant. Any idea what it could be and how to get rid of it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's on my plant?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 16:11

If there is no sign of animation when you tap the leaves with a finger or pencil (like the white objects moving or an exodus of white flies, I'd guess them to probably be the cast skins of molting aphids ...... but I wouldn't be too surprised if someone more skilled than I in these matters corrects me.

Al

o

nope, no animation. There are aphids on the plant...how do I get rid of them?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 16:56

Probably the best way that rates close to least noxious would be regular applications of insecticidal soap. It's very safe & works well on aphids. Neem oil is also a very good choice, with pure, cold-pressed neem oil getting the nod over other 'neem products' that may not have as much of the ingredient that makes neem oil effective. If you decide to go the neem route, let me know and I'll give you a good and easy recipe for mixing/using it. Neem oil is a powerful antifeedant and it stops reproduction and affects the insects ability to molt and move through the growth stages.

Al

o

Thank you so much for your help. I will try the soap method and see how that works!!!

o

Al is right on....those are little cast-off skins of the green aphids. Messy little creatures, aren't they?

o

looks beatiful,is your plant OK now?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here