Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
some advice on the plant really appreciated

Posted by karalyte none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 15:30

Hello
Something has happened to our house plant... its leaves suddenly started becoming yellow - and very quickly the whole plant is becoming so. Just a month ago it was slowly having new leaves and then it stopped... the new leaves which have formed have stopped growing as well...

In our previous apartment where this plant was really blossoming it was much less light. Right now, we have a lot of sun but I tried to move the plant into the area where there is little sun but it seems not to help :((

Would anyone be able to help me with this? Would be so sad to loose this plant...

Thank you!
All the best
Egle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: some advice on the plant really appreciated

Egle..First, is your plant a Pachira? Good Luck/Money Plant?

Other than moving your plant, did you make any other changes?

The leaves that are yellow will not resume normal green color.
I'd remove dead foliage.

Setting a plant from low to bright sun can sunburns/mar leaves. Discolored leaves are dead.

With proper care, new growth should sprout.
When a plant is placed in a sunnier location, it needs to be done gradually.

Was your plant doing well in lower light?
Certain plants cannot tolerate bright/direct sun.

To be honest, I don't know the type of plant you have there. I think it's Pachira/Money Tree.

BTW, is the room/window hot? Growth slows/halts when temps exceed 90F and up. Which directions do/are old and new windows facing?

For the time being, remove dead foliage, place plant in a semi-cool, 65-75F area, in indirect light. See how it does. Keep soil semi-moist, not soggy. Let dry a bit between waterings.
Good luck, Toni

o

karalyte, from the angle of the leaf on the left, I'd say it is dying of old age or its attachment to the stem has been weakened or partly separated; the leaf on the right suffered some mechanical damage and if both were removed I suspect that the remaining leaves will be green and healthy.

o

I would check for bugs, spider mites specifically. How long have you had this plant?

o

Def. a money tree. They store water in their stumps/trunks and enjoy a nice lighted home. No direct sun. The leaves look to me like too much heat or light. Does not look like a watering problem. We keep these in our shop with little water maintenance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here