Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ficus elastica variegata brown spots

Posted by Moosetrackz 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 15:44

Hello. I just bought a ficus elastica variegata 2 weeks ago. I repotted it since it seemed very pot bound. Its been in my house for the past 2 weeks but its not doing very well.

It has gotten soft brown blotches on its leaves. Im thinking maybe not enough light or too much water or both. I only watered it once, when I re-potted. Ive put it outside in a mostly shady spot and am hoping it does better. Is there any advice anyone can give me for anything else it might need or if that was the right thing to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ficus elastica variegata brown spots

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 21:23

Did you repot (includes bare-rooting and root pruning) or just pot up?

The variegated plants seem to be a little more sensitive to issues related to watering (over/under) and fertilizing; and of course they're more sensitive to bright light extremes.

The odds are that it's an over-watering issue, but a high level of solubles (salts) in the soil is also a possibility. Often, plants grown in very bright light and warm temperatures are pushed hard (with maximum fertilizer doses), which is ok as long as growing conditions remain optimum; but when you take a plant that has a high level of fertilizer in the soil out of optimum conditions into a rather dim home setting, fertilizer burn can show up as a by-product of the reduced light levels.

Best advice: Make sure it's in a soil that drains fast enough that you can water copiously, so at least 10-15% of the water applied exits the drain each time you water. This will be particularly important over the winter when the plant's growth and water needs have slowed. If you can't water so you're flushing the soil, it's likely that dissolved solids will accumulate in the soil and cause a variety of problems like spoiled foliage and reduced vitality.

Your plant would like open shade, dappled shade, or early morning (until 9-10) and evening (7 & later) sun, but it won't tolerate full sun well if at all.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here