Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Rosary Vine/String Of Hearts Questions

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've heard nothing but good about this plant and I may look for one when I go to Lowe's and/or Home Depot Tuesday.

Is it as easy to care for as they say? Can anyone please share some growing guidelines? Thank you!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (11)

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Let it get dry-ish before watering but don't keep it bone dry. I lost one to underwatering. Mine is really happy in a south window, a couple inches from the glass but with a mesh curtain between the two. You can tell it definitely needs watering if the leaves start feeling a little soft and not as plump, but try to get to it before that point.

Here's mine:

{{gwi:94753}}

You can see the odd little flowers in this pic. They are strange, but really cool.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Quinn, that's a nice plant! Where did you get yours ?
    In an old houseplant book I have, it says the flowers have a weak fragrance BUT it resembles the scent of Hoya carnosa!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Ceropegias are easy to grow. I use a potting mix rich in organic matter but very well draining. I cut back on watering during the winter and some of the tuberous ceropegias get no water at all. During the warm months I soak them thoroughly and allow the top inch or two to dry out before watering again. The standard C. woodii is nice and the variegated C. woodii (string of hearts) has even prettier foliage but there's others with more interesting, larger blooms. Here's a debilis which has blooms almost exactly the same as woodii next to a radicans for comparison. Excuse the blurry pic.

{{gwi:94754}}

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karyn, they do have neat flowers! Are there any other ceropegias easy to find as woodii?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• karyn1
    13 years ago

C. debilis is pretty easy to find. There's several nurseries that carry other less common ceropegias but most don't carry that many varieties. I only have 6 or 7 varieties and would like to find more.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

I've never seen any but C. woodii at nurseries; the others I've had have been given me by growers/collectors (like C. ampliata or C. sandersonii).

I currently have C. sandersonii as my only other one.

Brad:

If you grow this pls. note: after a time they get these little white balls on their stems; they're not insects, but rather tubers, from which one can start new plants.

(I tend to warn newbies w/ this plant lest they think they're bugs & decide to discard the plant.)

I'll have to see if mine bloom this year to smell them, I'd never known they were fragrant.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PG, yes I know about the tubers that grow on the vines. In the houseplant books I have, it says you sow them like seeds. Unfortunately, I just realized I don't have the room for it right now. I just wanted to see what you all thought of it and to share your experiences with it. I will definitely get one to try sometime.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I've never noticed a fragrance from any of my ceropegias. Pirate girl have you ever tried to cross pollinate any of your ceropegias? I've attempted it with a few varieties but have never been successful. I've also seen ants and things crawling in and out of the flowers but I've never seen a seed pod.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

No Karyn,

I haven't. Only have one of each plant, the woodii's only had one bloom (I grow indoors only), the sandersonii has never bloomed.

I DO have an unusual C. woodii, w/ a different leaf shape tha normal, that a friend (former Ceropegia collector) confirms as such. I'll see if I can find a pic later in the week.

(PG) Karen

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Can I be an enabler and say that it really doesn't take up all that much room? My plant is in a 4 inch hanging pot. It was in a 2.5 inch pot for quite a while. I mean, it can grow to be quite long, but I just keep winding it around the pot when it gets too long for me. Oddly, while mine likes to flower a lot, it really isn't producing those tubers. I see itty bitty tiny ones that I really have to look for, and that's it. One I had in the past had lots of tubers, and it flowered pretty regularly. I do remember I started that one from cuttings, and the original plant that I plant-sat for a summer did have lots of tubers as well.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can finally get a plant! Can anyone spare some cuttings?
    I posted over on the exchange page of this forum. Check out my trade list on my page.

Brad AKA Moonwolf