Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alavoneluvhoya

Id this plant

alavoneluvhoya
11 years ago

we got 3 of these in our shop this week and I had to take one home. I am thinking its a type of antherium due to the buds at the base of plant. I have not been able to find an image of it on google so now I am really puzzled. Here are the pics i took this morning. a day after I got this home it started to have some leaves yellowing I am guessing to being wet in a dark shipping box for period of time.... the medium was pretty dry when I brought it home.

{{gwi:94806}}

{{gwi:94807}}

Comments (13)

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I too would have thought Anthurium given these leaves, but don't think so, seeing how & where the blooms are starting.

By comparison, pls. scroll most of the way down this front page & look for a thread called "Tag Says Ficus Benjamina, but looks like Philo".

Pls. see the end of that thread & the last 2 pix (Anthuriums), & note that the red coloring (those are new spathes (blooms), is coming up from down below btwn the divisions.

The pic you've shown is quite different.

Something in me wants to suggest maybe it's Haemalomena (sp?)

You might also try posting it at Aroid Foum (which Anth. are) or also at GW's 'Name That Plant' Forum where that's all they do is ID plants.

HTH = hope this helps.

• alavoneluvhoya
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wasin that forum "name that..." I didnt think to post there thanks! I knew it was a goodie when I saw it!

I need to do some research. I was thinking antherium or spath.....

• ada70
    11 years ago

From the spath looks like some variety of aglaonema.

• ada70
    11 years ago

Take that back:most likely is philodendron congo or jacquinii (comes in smaller leaves).
    Niada

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

alavoneluvhoya,
    You should post some photos of the flowers once they open, I'd love to see what they look like (as I'm sure others will too)!

Planto

• stewartsjon
    11 years ago

My vote's some kind of Anthurium. Some of them (e.g. Jungle King) have widdly little flowers like that.

Aglos and Philos don't have that leaf banding that I'm aware of.

• ada70
    11 years ago

When I googled Philodendron Congo, few varieties have these same leaves. Anthurium leaves seem to be more plain. Let us know what you find out. I can tell you, aroids, there's soooo many of them.

• ada70
    11 years ago

When I googled Philodendron Congo, few varieties have these same leaves. Anthurium leaves seem to be more plain. Let us know what you find out. I can tell you, aroids, there's soooo many of them.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

No helpful input but just wanted to say whatever it is, it looks really happy! Would you be able to show a picture of the base of the plant, where it's coming out of the soil? Not that I would yet know what it is, but might help the others who know more plants.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Not 100%, but your plant looks like Homalomena. Homalomenas are mainly grown for flowers, but have nice leaf design. Toni

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

I just did a search for Homalomenas as I'd suggested above. I believe that's it (leaves look like an exact match to me); try H. Emerald to match pix, even down to how the Spath comes up & what it looks like.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Karen, sorry, didn't see your post.

Actually try H. Emerald Gem. Toni

• alavoneluvhoya
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok so its a match to emerald green! I have never heard of this plant before, I did not however see any plants with open blooms...so I cut one off and open it. It looks like a white spath bloom...once the blooms open I will post pictures for sure! Thank you all so much with this ID!

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County