Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Id this plant

Posted by alavoneluvhoya none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 16:14

we got 3 of these in our shop this week and I had to take one home. I am thinking its a type of antherium due to the buds at the base of plant. I have not been able to find an image of it on google so now I am really puzzled. Here are the pics i took this morning. a day after I got this home it started to have some leaves yellowing I am guessing to being wet in a dark shipping box for period of time.... the medium was pretty dry when I brought it home.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Id this plant

I too would have thought Anthurium given these leaves, but don't think so, seeing how & where the blooms are starting.

By comparison, pls. scroll most of the way down this front page & look for a thread called "Tag Says Ficus Benjamina, but looks like Philo".

Pls. see the end of that thread & the last 2 pix (Anthuriums), & note that the red coloring (those are new spathes (blooms), is coming up from down below btwn the divisions.

The pic you've shown is quite different.

Something in me wants to suggest maybe it's Haemalomena (sp?)

You might also try posting it at Aroid Foum (which Anth. are) or also at GW's 'Name That Plant' Forum where that's all they do is ID plants.

HTH = hope this helps.

o

I wasin that forum "name that..." I didnt think to post there thanks! I knew it was a goodie when I saw it!

I need to do some research. I was thinking antherium or spath.....

o

From the spath looks like some variety of aglaonema.

o

Take that back:most likely is philodendron congo or jacquinii (comes in smaller leaves).
Niada

o

alavoneluvhoya,
You should post some photos of the flowers once they open, I'd love to see what they look like (as I'm sure others will too)!

Planto

o

My vote's some kind of Anthurium. Some of them (e.g. Jungle King) have widdly little flowers like that.

Aglos and Philos don't have that leaf banding that I'm aware of.

o

When I googled Philodendron Congo, few varieties have these same leaves. Anthurium leaves seem to be more plain. Let us know what you find out. I can tell you, aroids, there's soooo many of them.

o

When I googled Philodendron Congo, few varieties have these same leaves. Anthurium leaves seem to be more plain. Let us know what you find out. I can tell you, aroids, there's soooo many of them.

o

No helpful input but just wanted to say whatever it is, it looks really happy! Would you be able to show a picture of the base of the plant, where it's coming out of the soil? Not that I would yet know what it is, but might help the others who know more plants.

o

Not 100%, but your plant looks like Homalomena. Homalomenas are mainly grown for flowers, but have nice leaf design. Toni

o

I just did a search for Homalomenas as I'd suggested above. I believe that's it (leaves look like an exact match to me); try H. Emerald to match pix, even down to how the Spath comes up & what it looks like.

o

Karen, sorry, didn't see your post.

Actually try H. Emerald Gem. Toni

o

ok so its a match to emerald green! I have never heard of this plant before, I did not however see any plants with open blooms...so I cut one off and open it. It looks like a white spath bloom...once the blooms open I will post pictures for sure! Thank you all so much with this ID!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here