Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting dracaena and mealybugs

Posted by plumerias none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 16:22

Hi everyone! I have had this dracaena plant I got from ikea at LEAST 5 years ago, and I know it is definitely root bound. I always delayed repotting it because honestly, even though I've read article after article of instructions, I feel like I'm gonna mess up and kill my plant. So please, pretend I'm a 5 year old and include the type of soil I should get, including brands if possible! I kinda want it to get bigger, so I guess I need a new pot? How can I get the "limbs" to look more neat? Can I secure them with a wire or twin or something?

The other thing is, he's contracted mealybugs. I discovered the bottom leaves were falling off dramatically and all this white powder came out of it.. MEALYBUGS! Little demons. Since then (maybe 3 months ago?) I've regularly been spraying it with a diluted rubbing alcohol + water spray and closely inspecting the leaf crevices to smoosh out any I can see with a q-tip. He seems to be doing much better, and the mealy bugs are still there but decreasing. Are there any other natural/organic remedies I can try? I've heard about neem oil and might look into that.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting dracaena and mealybugs

I think it looks fantastic! Here's some unpotted ones showing the roots. Started as severed-trunk cuttings, that grew these root systems within a year.

o
RE: Repotting dracaena and mealybugs

Here's one after trimming, you can be quite aggressive. Even after trimming, a larger pot would likely soon be filled with roots. As your plant looks much more top-heavy, I would take that into consideration, leaving more large, woody roots in places where they will help keep the plant from leaning while new roots form and roam into the new, surrounding soil. I prefer to not have to stake plants if avoidable.

This discussion is a great place to get started reading about making roots happy (which is necessary for great plants.)

P.S. The bag of stuff is for the ground garden, not for in pots...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here