Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Who do you think will win?

Not soliciting any advice, just wanted to offer a butt for some joking around. Kind of backwards like jeopardy, or when they have those "funniest caption" contests. Here's the punchline, what's the joke? (So please refrain from opinions like "I don't think the ______s will do well like that..." I have plenty of material to play with and am not worried if some don't make it.) This thread is just for goofing off but I will post some pics occasionally so our collective curiosity can be satisfied.

I put this together for a friend who never leaves the house except when I take him to the store. He liked the idea of a bucket, very masculine. He's got a west-facing covered porch for summer and west windows available for winter. This idea came to me when I found myself indecisive about a particular plant to pot up for him. Then some combos started to sound good and then it occurred to me that since I visit once per week, I can make it an experiment. This plant will only be watered on Friday evening when I visit. At home, I'm always convinced most of my plants need water at least twice that often. Maybe they do, but I think I will find that my plants are comparatively overwatered even though I currently think they are not. (Maybe I need more annuals to deadhead.) And yes, I will tell him about the experiment so he can comply and not feel responsible for any casualties.

{{gwi:94849}}

In extreme-drainage mix of mostly mulch, all fast-growers that would rather be skipped than overwatered, Sans, plain green spider, Tradescantia zebrina, Callisia fragrans, Dracaena marginata 'tricolor, and 2 cane Begonias. I'm sure all of it will grow fast enough to be extremely entertaining for him but eventually some will be crowding others.

So... who do you think will win? My money's on the Callisia since even if the Sans pushes it out of the pot, it will keep growing as long as 1 root stays near the pot.

As a caption, I might say "Jane Doe worried she might be taking square foot gardening a bit too far..."

Comments (64)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple..what's the temp your way?

What a view! House and sky photo. Beautiful. The sky is so blue.
    Since I don't know the direction, was the pic taken a.m. or p.m.?

Seems the WJ won, Cal coming in second. You've created an amazing planter..plants look fantastic.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This was about 2:30 PM yesterday, beautiful Geneva, AL. It's about 74 today. Planto, not all of them would die, will keep posting updates...

Thanks, Toni! My friend said he enjoys seeing it going in/out the door.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Purple,
    That's good, I've been following your post since the beginning, I'm rooting for them all hehe. Our weather has been crazy lately, last week it was 36 at night with 60 something during the day... the other day it got up to 80. I already lost a snake plant that I had outdoors (forgot to bring it in when it dropped around 50). :\

Planto

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple. I hope they all live..You did a great job, hope your friend appreicates your effort.

Planto...I know some people take Sans outside during summer, but mine stay indoors..I fear leaves will burn in shade.
    A similar experience happened with several Orchids, 'Phaels' I once placed outdoors..in extreme shade. Every single leaf turned red then fell off. And when I say shade, I mean shade. :)

Anyone know if Sans were accustomed to being outside, would foliage grow faster? Potted Sans that are wintered indoors..not Sans grown in their native land.

Original Author
    11 years ago

It sounds like not all Sans are created equally...

Toni, most summers for about 20 years, I've put my Sans (trifasciata) outside in mostly shade and have never had a sunburned leaf. Mostly sun last summer, full sun this year, no sunburn. Used to be one mama plant that I split in two and each half has made 8-12 new pups this summer. One half outgrew its' pot within a few weeks so I put it in a 5-gallon bucket. The other one is in a larger size hanging basket pot (not hanging) and it's pushed the pot out of round. Absolutely will have to be split again next spring before it cracks that pot.

The new one with gold sides that I got this spring I put in the sun right away. No sunburn, 2 new pups.

Planto, I don't understand why one night of 50 degrees would cause any harm to your plant. It's been down to about 38 a couple nights here in the past couple weeks, but about 45 usually. These are some of the toughest plants around, one of the last I bring in, right to the edge of frost, when it's that time.

Don't know why this came out so dark, it's a beautiful, sunny day. The two tallest sections were the original part of this pot this spring, the rest has grown since then.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Purple,
    I'm not sure what happened to my Sans now that you mention yours is doing so well in cooler temperatures (I really like the look of yours by the way, ones that color always look so beat up here in town). I just looked at it one day and it was brown and mushy and when I bent some of the leaves, they oozed (*speechless*). It was doing great, I saw new growth and it had filled out the pot (when I dumped it, I saw just how many roots it formed). I have other Sans (one for almost a year now) so I can't say their care is new to me.

Planto

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple..your Sans really needs repotting. It's so full the pot is bound to crack.. It's gorgeous though, nice colors.

Problem is, how do you know which Sans can be summered outdoors w/o burning?

How much shade do you consider, 'shady?'
    Is S. trifasciata the only Sans you'd set outside?

I forgot. I have one hanging Sans, 'when purchased, thought it was Aloe,' that is summered outdoors, in sun. Leaves don't burn.
    Like most Sans, 'at least mine,' are slow-growing.
    During winter they're set in an east window, about 8' from south, and a little artificial light at night during winter.

Planto, I agree with Purple about Sans and cooler temps. As long as soil isn't kept wet/muddy, they'll adapt to 32F degree nights, although I wouldn't keep Sans outside in freezing temps for prolonged periods.

How moist was the soil while your Sans were outside?

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Toni,
    Hmm, you may have pinpointed my problem. It was moist when I had it outdoors.

I never had an issue with mine burning by the way. It received morning sun (up until say 11 am) and never burned... just turned to mush!

Planto

Original Author
    11 years ago

Awww, Planto, that's so sad to hear!! The word mush sends chills down everyone's spine I'm sure. And I agree, cold plus too much moisture is bad. Cold and dry has not been a problem.

It will be tough to convince my Dad to let my Mom's get dry enough, especially since it will be in her garage at night but out in the warm sunshine during the day. My Dad's really sick and it makes him feel helpful to water the plants, one of the few things he can do anymore. If it doesn't work out, I'll refill the pot for her in the spring.

Toni, sorry, I don't know what kind these other Sans are. Just little things from WM. I know there are a bunch of different ones available out there...

I think Sans get the "low light" reputation because they can take it, not because that's their milieu in nature.

I'd call a spot shady, house plant-wise, that doesn't get any direct sun except the first and/or last hour of the day, or none at all.

I know this plant needs repotting but a couple things are making me wait until spring. Mainly that it needs to be split up and I don't want to make MORE pots right now. And I'm out of potting stuff and would rather wait until the stores are selling the bags I want in the spring, the only other choice at the moment would be "potting soil." Hope it agrees with my decision to wait.

Same plant from a different side. The bottles of water are all ready to host Coleus cuttings.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Purple,
    That's one gorgeous Sans. It's so large! Has it bloomed for you yet?

Planto

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Purple,
    That's one gorgeous Sans. It's so large! Has it bloomed for you yet?

Planto

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, mid-May of this year. Before that, it was about 13-15 years ago the last time. Hoping it was because it liked where it was last winter! South window, 60-70 F, DRY, just not so dry that the leaves lose turgidity. For these plants, that was a small sip every 3-4 weeks but they were in smaller pots. I don't anticipate watering the bigger pots as often this winter, but the added mass may make that necessary, will do it by heft and let the plants decide... consider that knowing it stays pretty humid in our house. I hardly ever get static in my hair - a condition I CAN'T STAND!!!!!!!!!! Plants in a dry house would likely need water more often, but either way, I'm a firm believer in sips for Sans. (That's fun to say, I actually had to do it out loud.) Then flush/repot in spring.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Wow, did you take any pictures?

Planto

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops, I had meant to include it, but lost it in preview. GRRRR! I so wish they would fix that!!

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

"In extreme-drainage mix of mostly mulch,"

Can you tell me more about the mix you used? I made up mixes with bark and would like to hear what you used. Plants look good..

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, flowers! Very rare.

Please do me a favor..once buds open, will you take a whiff, check for fragrance?

Some swear Sans flowers are fragrant, others say they can't detect a scent.
    One person said flowers stink, others say they're sweet-smelling. I'm curious.

All the years my Sans never once budded/bloomed.

If all is well next year, think I'll place Sans on the side of the house where Hoyas are usually summered..Hoyas are not getting enough light in that spot, so, maybe it'd be sufficient for Sans.
    I believe that area gets, 'maybe,' an hour of direct, west sun..
    The top of the shelves get quite a bit more light, maybe too much for Sans?
    Enough sun for Hoyas to bloom. Too much maybe?

Obviously, there are different Sans shades..The leaves of your Sans are extremely light..opposite of those I've seen..I like. Wonder if being outside has something to do with it?
    Do leaves darken once indoors?

Original Author
    11 years ago

MasterGardener1, heythere. Glad to see you in a kinder, gentler milieu, compartmentalization is good. Thanks for the compliment, on behalf of the plant. I admire mother nature's accomplishment too!

To answer your question, first I must ask, are you a store-bought-only ingredients person for potted plants, or are you amenable to the idea of a more wild and natural mix? I think you said you have a compost pile...?

Toni, this flower is from May, already gone, but yes, extremely fragrant (pleasant to me) both times it's happened. I do think lots of direct sun makes the pups on this plant lighter-colored. The older leaves are darker. Until I started putting it in significant amounts of sun the past couple years, it never grew any leaves like this, mostly light. Do you think it is different from Sans you have? I think it's just the regular one I see at stores all the time, seems like the most common one to me, just more sun on my particular plants. My Mom says this has probably been in the family at least 80 years, give or take a few. I'm glad to be the keeper of it for the past couple decades.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Purple,
    80 years? That's a long lived plant! Has it been divided over the years or is that the original "Momma"? Thanks for sharing a photo of the bloom, I had the luxury of seeing a couple in bloom at a local HD (Things are that much more interesting in person).

Planto

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Yea I tried mixes with a little composted cow manure and pine bark. It was a fast draining mix and was wondering if you used the same thing. I do make leaf mold and want to use it as part of a potting mix. For large containers nothing is better then bark. For fast growing annuals I have used nothing but peat moss and composted manure and was not going to think it would work, but it gave me a large harvest of jalapeno. It is fun trying different mixes, and you save a lot of money. I do buy potting mix. I like the new hyponex in the green bag that come in 1 and 2 cuft. Only 8 something for a 2 cuft bag and it some of the best bagged potting mixes I have used.

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

The pot looks wonderful purple, sans too....but here's a question for you and anyone else who may have an answer- Where does someone find a Callisia fragrans?? I know you can order them online, but do you ever find them at stores? Do they sell them in the houseplants section? spring/summer plants outdoors (annuals/perennials)? or is this just a hard to find special plant that must be ordered from speciality nureries? It's on my plant wish list, I must have one!!! LOL

-FPT

Original Author
    11 years ago

FPT, thanks, on behalf of the plant(s)! I think stores don't have C. fragrans because it's too gangly and invasive to other house plants, and in the ground where it is hardy. It looks like it's insane (it is.) It grows so fast it's hard to give the excess away. Sending you an email about this...

Planto, yes it's been passed down from my great-grandma. I've repotted it occasionally and removed ugly, damaged leaves, but it never grew much in dark corners and total shade when outside. I don't really know how to answer that question. This is the original pot I was given, but are any of the molecules/atoms in this pot 80 years old? I doubt it. If any of the leaves were that old, they're not still on the original roots anymore. As of this year, when I removed the last of the older, darker leaves, I'm pretty sure all of the leaves are only a few years old. I speak of it as a single entity but it's now in 2 pots here with me, and several other pots of newly propagated leaves/pups, and many individuals given away this year. This reminds me of this discussion from last year.

MasterG, that's very similar to what I do. I use mostly mulch that's already aged well, compost and leaf mold from my piles, a very small amount of bagged top soil if it seems too dry, maybe some bagged manure if I think it needs it. It's the least expensive stuff I've found that's acceptable to the plants, but it doesn't last long. About a year is the longest possible with this since it breaks down into mud. I dump these pots into flower/veggie beds, so I don't use perlite or peat, which would exacerbate the dryness of the sandy soil here and I don't like the look of those white bits of perlite.

• greybird_keke
    11 years ago

Purple, I enjoyed watching your bucket babies grow! What a great idea! Looks like you'll soon need to start a new bucket, that one's almost full :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! My friend said he's become quite attached to this and he's been taking it inside on the cold nights we've had so far. Glad I left the handle up. I'll take another pic when I go back Monday. (We've moved his weekly trip to the store to Mondays.)

BTW, Callisia fragrans is starting to make flower stalks again.

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Any updates on the bucket in the new year? I've missed this post!

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

hey purple,

reading this reminded me that you said you wrote me an email back in November, but I never received it, so I wasn't ignoring you. I'm so forgetful I kept forgetting to ask you about that.

-FPT

Original Author
    11 years ago

Heythere, thanks for asking. It was pretty cold for a couple weeks, I just glanced at the plant, but blame the wind this past Monday! Blowing the wrong way, much too stinky (it's a chicken ranch if we don't remember) to take pics, I was about running, but I saw the start of a flower stalk on the Callisia fragrans as I went by. That's a shame too, 'cuz one of the yard cats, a really pretty calico was sitting next to it, would have been a bonus pic. I'll have camera in hand this Monday to be ready to snap'n'dash if needed.

• dsws
    11 years ago

The snake plant will dance on the others' grave. They'll all be little plant angels. But they won't be playing the harp. Instead they'll be singing "I left my harp in Sans fandango".

Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! Good one, dsws!

• Woebegonia
    11 years ago

If they die, will you claim they 'kicked the bucket'?

Original Author
    11 years ago

The Callisia fragrans in this pot is making a couple flower stalks...

Original Author
    11 years ago

This one's not as advanced yet.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Growing like crazy...

Original Author
    11 years ago

From another angle.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Some of the leaves are kind of chewed and scratched from the barn cats.

I've never seen a Callisia fragrans do this, but am just coming up on 2 years of having this plant...

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Yeah! You went picture crazy! The bucket is doing so well! The flower stalks on the callisia are making me think that it is the current winner. Thanks so much for the update

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

Wow, look at those callisias go, and all those babies.... just makes me jealous!!! I want one so bad, for some reason I absoutly love weird plants like callisias. Thats so awesome, that bucket really did fill out, something about the use of those certain plants make it looks so neat, I guess all those diffrent textures and shapes of the foliage really gives it personallity. Kinda gives me ideas....

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Lololol Tiffany, you are too funny!

It is because of you that I got this plant a few weeks ago and it arrived half dead. Well, it's one tough cookie, because it's exploding in growth and soon I hope to see the flowers you speak of!

Now, as for this thread, I've been watching and appreciate how you follow through with it. I think the Callisias will win..lol

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

FPT, I'd be happy to send you some pieces, postage or trade. Email me if interested!

Mike, no doubt, a little trip through the mail wouldn't even phase this plant, just make it more determined. I just sent some to Hawaii yesterday, will let you know how that went. Hope she heeds my warning about keeping it off of the ground. Very soon you'll be telling us about how this plant is trying to invade other pots...

So, heart-leaf Philo and cane Begonia are probably not as well suited to this grouping, but they are still alive in there. Plain green spider is becoming overwhelmed also, but has the potential to shoot out babies to expose itself more.

Glad y'all are having fun with this along with me and my friend who owns this now! Next Monday I'll get rid of some of the dead leaves to let more light on the other, smaller plants...

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

Purple-

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! of course lets wait a few months til it warms up, over here in eastern Washington we've been having freezing weather everyday with snow off and on, I'd hate if anything dies cause of it. But I will email you then and we can talk about it more...but of course I have no patience LOL, but I'll wait....

-FPT

Original Author
    11 years ago

Good idea where you are, FPT, this plant is completely allergic to frost. Anything right up to that point is fine, but actual frost = ruined foliage. There's some pics of that very same, sad thing in this discussion on fragrant forum, and more pics of Callisia fragrans in general. It's a standing offer. Every day, there's more...

But this is a relatively delicate plant in the physical sense. I'm equally sure that during this time the Sans has been quite busy also. It is arguably THE most durable and, factually one of the most brute-strength-enhanced plants people have yet been able to capture in a pot. What other plants will break their pot if they need more space? Anyway, it's been busy under there, preparing a new crop of pups that will soon poke up stiffly, as strong as Paul Bunyan's ox, easily squeezing/lifting other plants out of the way.

The Callisia won't care, having already established colonies in several surrounding counties. I think the Drac can hold on to the bottom of the pot if it needs to, or just grab the Sans and keep making roots. How will the other plants cope? Will they be mushed? Can Philo climb on Sans? Stay tuned... Ha!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Purple,

I believe that's a stolon the Callisia is pushing out, as I recall it's sort of like a Spider plant stolon, tho' I don't remember exactly. I do seem to recall it starts a baby or pup on the end if I'm not mistaken. I had one some yrs. ago in my bathroom window (frosted glass, west exposure). My Callisia got deep red/burgundy in the center of its main growths when it got a lot of light.

Lookin' good there, we'll have to see what yours does.

Original Author
    11 years ago

An update on this plant, the whole thing:

Original Author
    11 years ago

A close-up of that eager stolon:

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Purple: I am so excited!! I was just wondering about the bucket!!! Looks like the callisia is still the winner to me

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

Wow I love how far back this post goes! amazing to see the transformation

Original Author
    10 years ago

Just remembered I took pics of this bucket Tuesday...

(I pasted the update info below from a recent thread where I was babbling about this plant, so don't feel crazy if you think you already read about this.)

It is apparently a great scratching post for kitties. The barn cats at the farm have multiplied and the kitties are determined to make sure all of the plants look like strange Monstera cousins, with holes in every leaf. The flower stalks on the Callisia fragrans are gone, broken off. But the plants don't look like they are too bothered by it, and/or determined to outgrow the playful kitties.

He is enjoying it so much he gave me an empty bucket and asked me to fill it with whatever plants I could spare that would enjoy his porch, and asked me to put all of the Callisia stolons the kitties have broken in another bucket. He had half a dozen plastic cups of water for them on his kitchen table, each with a tangle of roots already. This past Monday, as we sat there and ate McDonald's with the Callisia cups, he talked about these plants the whole time. All he ever used to talk about before was what an idiot his boss is, what scammers the politicians are, how his family only comes around when they want something, and just a lot of negativity in general.

The next time anyone encounters a lonely old guy (or gal!) and you have a tough plant or two to spare, give it to them and say you need help with an experiment to see how it will grow at their house... Amazing!
    {{gwi:94852}}

{{gwi:94853}}

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Purple,
    Déjàvu! :P Thanks for posting the photos, I almost forgot I asked you about your friend's bucket the other day. Those Callisia fragrans are going to town. I can see why the kittens like to play with them!

Planto

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well we've been following this mixed planter for almost 15 months. To recap, it started with: Sansevieria, plain green spider, Tradescantia zebrina, Callisia fragrans, Dracaena marginata 'tricolor, and 2 cane Begonias. Everything is still alive in there except the Begonias. Some heart-leaf Philo has been added.

Here's a couple pics from yesterday. (Any funny new captions welcome, BTW!)

{{gwi:94854}}

{{gwi:94855}}

And a butterfly. There were a ton of these hanging around the dirt driveway:
    {{gwi:94856}}

If anyone would like to see more of the flora of the area, in particular the wild things, I put a bunch of pics of Alabama weeds here.

Original Author
    10 years ago

The battle may be down to 2 contestants, but not from some crowding others out. This has stayed outside this winter, the novelty of lugging it in/out has worn out for my friend. I'm surprised the Sans still look this good. Spider plant is unbothered. Tradescantia should still be alive, jury's out on the others at the moment...

Pic from yesterday. He said he's leaving the dead stuff on there yet to protect whatever might grow back from the kitties laying in this pot. IDK the wisdom of this, but I'm just an observer at this point.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Tiff,
    Thanks for sharing. I will say that your friend's bucket looks pretty sad at this point, but hopefully more will come back than is expected. I can imagine hauling it back and forth was quite the feat though, I'm not sure I'd want to keep doing that myself! It's interesting to see just how tall that Sans has gotten. It's also interesting also to note how hardy both it and the Spider plant seem. The spider plant I gave my Mother earlier this summer didn't make it. I think she forgot she needed to bring it inside. :\

Planto

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler