Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
China Doll (Radermachera Sinica) Root Pruning and Repotting

Posted by kashu z6 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 16:39

Has anyone root pruned and repotted their Radermachera Sinica into Al's gritty mix? I know they're a bit fickle so I'm wondering how well they handle root work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: China Doll (Radermachera Sinica) Root Pruning and Repotting

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 17:40

I have, I have! ;o)

No problem with their handling root work, but don't delay. It's getting late in the growth cycle. Late Jun-early Jul is best for you, but if your tree is healthy it'll be ok.

Here are some pictures of a harsh top reduction if you're interested. I really should get it outside & take additional pictures of it 2 months later. You'll be surprised at what it looks like after seemingly such harsh treatment.

Al

o

Al,

I came across that post while doing a search and was wondering what it looked like now, please post pictures soon.

My radermachera is 3 ft tall and bushy, in a 9" pot. I got it as a gift last week and I've been adjusting it to its new environment. The soil looks very compact and I can see roots on top of the soil as well as at the drainage holes.

I like the way the top growth looks and don't really want to prune the stems, I actually want it to become taller and treelike. But I want to cut away at least half the roots to encourage healthier growth. Do you think this would be ok?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 21:30

I think we should tweak your perspective just a little. Root pruning, along with full repots, actually helps to prevent the stress associated with tight roots and collapsed soils. It helps to prevent decline and allows the plant to grow at closer to its genetic potential. I would bare-root and only prune out the largest roots, not taking any more than 1/3 of the o/a root mass. Repotting into the gritty mix is a good idea. Open shade for at least 2 weeks after the repot is best.

Good luck.

Al

o

I did a full repot this weekend trying not to take off more than 1/3 of the roots as suggested. But the soil was so compact, I'm afraid I took off close to 1/2 the roots trying to hose off all the old soil. Most of the roots were pretty fine and delicate and broke off quite easily.

o

kashu,

How did you fare with your China Doll and the root pruning? I'm thinking of doing this to my CD this spring.

TammyPie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here