Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a1pha_fema1e

ID's please

a1pha_fema1e
10 years ago

Hi! I got some new plants from a Freecycler today :) And need some ID's. I think this is a Christmas Cactus? Are the white spots water marks from hard water or spider mites?

Comments (20)

• a1pha_fema1e
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know the big one is a snake plant/mother in laws tongue, but what about the little one? Thanks

• a1pha_fema1e
    Original Author
    10 years ago

She didn't know what this is. "Some long name I can't remember" is what she said lol. And how do I care for it?

Do I repot or pot up the cactus? Using cactus/succulent soil? Do I plant the tongue in cactus soil too? THANKS!!

• teisa
    10 years ago

Well let me congradulate you on your new plants! Your unknown is a Hoya Carnosa. They are wonderful house plants. Yours will bloom a beautiful pink fuzzy bloom. There is a Hoya Forum. You can get alot of care and information tips there. Good luck with it!

I'm pretty sure that is just hard water spots. Someone else will have to advise on repotting the snake plant. Your carnosa will like cactus soil with lots of extra perilite and even orchid bark added in.

This post was edited by teisa on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 17:21

• a1pha_fema1e
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cool! Thanks!!

• a1pha_fema1e
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh! I just realized, seeing the flowers, that this is the same plant my late step mom had covering a wall in her room! :)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Your snake plant looks like it never saw the light of day. It is very weak right now and shows it. Almost no color and washed out green. No direct sun for a very long time. But it does need indirect sun or bright lights. With summer heat, you can increase watering but try to keep on the dry side.
    Stush

• a1pha_fema1e
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Think it will survive to root?

• pelargonium_gw
    10 years ago

It will certainly survive, snakeplants are tough. The only things that kill them are overwatering and low temperatures, especially in combination. Give it bright light, but no direct sunlight to begin with, untill it has grown stronger. The little plant I don't know what it is, just let it grow and see! The third one is a Hoya carnosa, as already mentioned.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Thanksgiving cactus.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi A1pha,

I think I've seen you a bit around different forum & lately at Hoya, w/ your new plants.

Pls. read a bit on mixes, the mix above is too peaty, likely to cause problems for the Sans. & maybe the TC.

Definitely a problem for the Sans, it's too big a pot combined w/mix that will retain water too long. I'd try using Cactus & Succulent mix w/ 50% extra perlite, which could be used for both plants.

I'd put the Sans in a small clay pot, & don't water it in after changing pot, just rest the leaf against edge of pot. I don't know what that other little plant is in w/ the Sans.

Otherwise, I suspect leaving the Sans. leaf in that mix & then watering it will rot it before it can root.

Same mix I'm suggesting can be used for the Thanksgiving Cactus (TC), but I'd keep using the plastic pot for that.

• a1pha_fema1e
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! That was a temporary container, just to prop them up to show them. I put them all in succulent mix for now, can't afford to buy more soil at the moment. I hope the cactus can handle abuse, cause when I went to check on how its roots were doing, it was completely and utterly rootbound and I think had rot. Quite a few portions of it fell off, I just put them back in the soil... There were 3 distinct plants in it, so I separated one and cut back the roots of all and put them in separate pots with new cactus/succulent soil. Then I was like.. whoops, probly should have consulted with the experts first...

What is the difference between Christmas Cactus and Thanksgiving Cactus?

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Pls. search for the link explaining holiday cactus (sorry, I don't know how to provide it).

Short version TC has jagged edges, CC has more rounded, very similar blooms & identical care.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

ID'ing holiday cacti. Is that the one you like, PG?

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Yes, Purp, thanks much! That one explains the differences so very well & the drawings help too.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

The technical term for this plant (TC) is Sclumbergera truncata, but it is actually a cross between truncata and bridgessi

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

A1 Nice haul.

I think your Hoya, photo 3, is Hoya finlaysonii. It too needs more sun.
    Foliage is somewhat pale..brighter light will enhance green and veined leaves.

Ironically, the left side looks different from the right. Are both sides on one trunk? Or is there more than one plant?
    The left side also has one heart-shape leaf, which is a different Hoya altogether.

The plant in the pot with the Sans/Snake reminds me of Dracaena. Toni

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi again,

Hiya Toni, sorry but no that's not H. finlaysonii, looks like much more common Carnosa (still a favorite of mine). Finlaysonni is not one to find at a BBS or by cuttings from a neighbor. The color, shape & leaf variability all suggest Carnosa (often remarked on for leaf shape variability).

• a1pha_fema1e
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys! There are 2 hoya cuttings. She took them from the same hanging basket. They are top and bottom though, not left and right. She said something about someone telling her to take leaves off and it will do something, I dismissed what she said though so I don't remember. But that is why it looks leggy I think.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

It's not leggy, these Hoyas are vines, that's what they're supposed to look like.

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I agree with hoya carnosa, it is a common variety with variable leaves so some are bound too look like a related species

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz