Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone tell me what this is and how to take care of it?

Posted by rrminnie NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 16:59

Hi:
Can anyone tell me the name of this plant ( big one in middle) and how to take care of it (water, light, feeding etc.) If it helps the leaves have reddish color on the edges.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone tell me what this is and how to take care of it?

I looks like a dracaena marginata except that the leaves look awful wilted.

o

How do I make it look better :-)

o

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb! Did you just get that plant? It looks fantastic!

You don't 'look' like a general newbie to plants, so the short answer, repot with root prune, bigger pot (it's a tree, will make lots of roots.) Well drained soil, water thoroughly and let drip out. Where the leaves attach to the main stem will start to pucker before actual wilt. It does look wilty, but could have just been in insufficient light, but doubtful with the full 'heads' of foliage. The foliage closest to the roots will always point down, but the foliage at the tips should be standing straight up.

Do you know the light situation it was in before you got it? If the leaves generally perk up after a drink, continue with what it was getting before. If the leaves aren't pouty because it's wilty/thirsty, it needs more light, but not suddenly more. Starting with the first couple hours of the day would be great.

What is the green thing?

o

I have a dracaena marginata colorama which is the same plant as yours and I remember that it does not like the cold. I keep mine in a bright spot but not direct sunshine well away from cold windows. I know it's July but something to consider when the temps change.

o

Hi all:

Thanks for all your great suggestions. I took the plant out root pruned a little and repotted to bigger pot. I also amended soil and added some bark for drainage. I noticed the roots were not only bound but also quite wet and a bit rotted so I researched and what do you know but Dracaena marginata don't like wet feet. So I added drainage/air to roots and lifted bottom of pot off ground to circulate the air. All good things I hope. I keep you posted.
Oh and the green thing tells me if soil is dry/wet, light and PH levels. Bought at HD but I don't think very accurate.

o

Sounds good, and true 'dat about the dislike of sitting in mucky wet soil. Hoping for good things also and sending good vibes!

I would trust YOU over that green thing. Was it telling you the roots were sopping wet?

That's an exceptionally pretty tree, sounds like it's in good hands.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here