Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Houseplants confession

Posted by VWbrownthumb 10/Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 17:02

Hi all! I have a confession to make - after purchasing one "String of Pearls" , one "Burro Tail", and one "Wandering Jew" (purple) for my outdoor patio, I'm addicted to trailing plants.

I have always had a brown thumb, killed everything. These three, I bought on impulse to-be-thrown-away broken up plants for about 1$ each, and now have three looking good, growing trailing plants in my front entry/patio.

So now, I'm looking for an inexpensive way to get more, more, MORE! anyone have any cuttings they can share? I can offer cuttings from these three, pay postage. I have very limited budget ...

Please let me know.

Virginia the brown thumb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Houseplants confession

Virginia, there is a Garden Web forum dedicated solely to plant swaps called Plant Exchange. GW rules prohibit asking for plants for postage or bartering in any forum but the Plant Exchange forum.

Congratulations on learning how to make plants happy! Maybe you're not such a brown thumb, after all!

o

Other trailing plants you may enjoy:
Callisia repens
Callisia fragrans
other non-spiderwort Tradescantias
other "string of" plants, like string of bananas
there are many trailing Sedums
Swedish ivy (Plectranthus)
holiday cacti

When it cools off a bit, trading will be at its' height for the year. House plant exchange page is here. Saying on your profile page that you're looking for trades but don't have much, so you're also interested in for-postage offers, can help. The cacti/succulent forum would be a good place to look for some of these kinds of plants. There's the regular discussion forum, and a separate exchange forum. Many plants are offered without a common name, so be prepared to do image search on those you don't recognize by their botanical epithets.

o

Columnea gloriosa for example

o

Thanks for the info - I will follow up on the exchange sites. Sorry for the slip-up.

o

No slip up, you're welcome in here anytime.

o

Absolutely!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here