Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning and repotting Adrenium obesum 'Luang Siam'

Posted by teengardener1888 NY Albany 5a (bynumrhamel@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 17:03

I have had this for a few months. It came bareroot and with spider mites. They only went away after I pruned all the branches short. It has grown nicely but I decided the soil is too moisture retentive especially with the rain and depotted it. I put it in cactus soil with 50 percent added perlite.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning and repotting Adrenium obesum 'Luang Siam'

Hey Teen...nice-looking Adenium.

The semi 'new' Adenium Forum is great for Desert Rose questions. I've learned so much reading posts.

Most Aden growers treat Adeniums as tropicals during summer months...in late autumn through winter, Adeniums are cared for as succulents. Some people leave their Adems in shade, w/o water, allow total dormancy.
I tried the shade experiment last winter..never again. lol.

I see side roots but are there extra roots under the plant?
I can't make it out.

A good idea changing soil? Especially if it held water. It might not have mattered during summer, but you might have had problems once winter came, plus a chance of recurring mites.

Teen, I'm not telling you what to do, 'probably too late anyway,' but I'd have soaked the entire plant in soapy water. In case mites are hiding out.
I see your pretty Croton...Crotons are mite magnets..

Toni

o
RE: Pruning and repotting Adrenium obesum 'Luang Siam'

I know about the adrenium forum but I know you guys and gals better, and therefore post most of my houseplants related treads here. I trimmed the bug infested stems off and the photo you see is the new growth that followed the trimming

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here