Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is this happening

Posted by lescont 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 17:16

This plant was doing great growing tons of new leaves then all of a sudden about a week ago I noticed the leaves curling together. Does anybody have any ideas why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is this happening

Are you watering sufficiently?

o

My thoughts as well. Sans will do that when they're too dry.

o

Lescont, the trick to watering a Sans or any other plant with low water requirement is to water (drench) very thoroughly after the plant has had plenty of time to dry out since the last watering. No little sips.

o

I have it outside and it is very hot (110) So I have been watching the watering closely. It was loving the hot dry temps until about a week ago. the only thing that has changed is we've begun the monsoon season and it has been quite a bit more humid. Could the humidity have caused this? And if so is there anything I can do? FYI I have a swamp cooler so even with the humidity outside the inside is much worse.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 12:37

Thrip infestations commonly cause curling of sans foliage. Look the plant over carefully for small silverish or gray feeding scars, or areas that appear to be calloused or corky looking as evidence. Also, a scarcity of particular nutrients, or nutrients available in excess can cause curling of the leaves, as can incidental exposure to herbicides (as in spray drift) or other phytotoxins. The best bet is to make sure you have the basics well covered, and you're not asking the plant to grow at the limits of what it's programmed to tolerate. IOW - learn where the sweet spot is - provide it and your troubles will disappear. It's one of the least demanding plants out there.

Al

o

Humidity doesn't worry them, particularly in warm weather.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here