Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thought this was Caladium but must be ...Syngonium?

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 17:39

Finally got around to moving this "mini Caladium" today. It's been here since before me, up against a north-facing wall. This is the 6th summer I've noticed it. Last summer I started digging it but noticed a huge styrofoam block buried there and thought I had dug it all out (and lost interest in moving this plant that day.)

When I dug up this plant today, there were no bulbs, just another little piece of styrofoam between it and the wall and a group of little plants that didn't seem connected to each other. I dug about a half a foot deeper and carefully examined all of the soil from the area, definitely no bulbs.

I put the tiny plants in a pot together but spread out a bit. I don't know what else it could be besides Syngonium? Each had a root system that looked like a spider plant baby after about 6 weeks in water, 4-6 surprisingly fat white roots about 3-4" long with smaller, thin, squiggly roots coming from those.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thought this was Caladium but must be ...Syngonium?

Looks like Syngonium to me, also known as "Arrowhead Vine."

Planto

o

Certainly does look like Syngonium. You've seen those photos of how mine grow?

o

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, tropic, I've seen your wild vines. And I have a little one of these in a pot and have had potted ones off & on through the years. Just wasn't expecting to find one in the yard. I guess we know where the "edge of hardiness" is now. 31 degrees. I hope they stay so pink, but probably not.

o

Just to clarify, I meant 31 degrees in latitude, not temperature. Don't know what the weather did before I moved here, but a couple winters ago, it got down to 9 degrees - in temperature.

o

After experimenting with placement, this plant seems to be happiest and prettiest (the most colorful leaves) when it only gets the very first and last rays of the day, bright shade otherwise. Still blown away that this was clinging to life in the yard for so many years. I've never seen one this pretty for sale. My son likes to play with the dinosaurs in the pots while we wait for the bus.

o

This is a really slow-growing plant! The leaf in the middle got a little too much sun the few weeks before the plants came inside a month ago I think. This plant is right behind me, one of the ones I want closest so I can look at often.

o

Purple, I love the center leaf color..it's sooo red, dark pink.
Your Sygonium looks fantastic..

My poor guy's leaves are green,...no light.

o

Purple,
I bought one of those a couple of years ago but gave it to my MIL (it's also pink). I wish I could find plants in my yard like that... I also wish I had a yard, hehe.

Planto

o

Purple, that is an absolutely pretty plant! Thank you so much for sharing:-)

Mike

o

Thanks x3!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here