Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronwynh_gw

What is this?

BronwynH
10 years ago

So I have a couple stalks of something green. They came in a bouquet I was given some months ago and never died. I didn't want to dispose of them even after the flowers had gone since they were still alive. I'm kind of half hoping they might eventually root.

After the flowers were gone I put them in water on the balcony, but the leaves bleached and became much paler (they had been a very dark green when I got them). Once I brought them back in I noticed some of the leaves had patches of sunburn, so I'm guessing they're not from a direct light plant. Also, they don't seem to use much water. I changed the water they were in after the flowers died and the water level has remained the same. That was about a month and a half ago. The water still seems fresh: clear, nothing in or on it and no smell.

Other than remaining pale and having those patches of sunburn the sprigs seem just as healthy today as when I got the bouquet. Leaves are still firm and upright, stems still hard, not dropped leaves. But no rooting.

There are two interesting features on/near the leaves. At the base of each leaf is a small spikey thing that looks like a dead leaf blade. And in the middle of each leaf, at the bottom is a structure that I can only describe as either the largest and strangest shaped stomata I have ever seen, or rootlets.

I will attach a couple photos to aid in the id.

Can anyone tell me what this is? And if so will it root and do I need to do anything special to help it along?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions