Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
snake plant

Posted by njsmom59 5bILl (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 18:05

I have a snake plant have had it for at least 4 years, but it is not growing. what am i doing wrong, it is outside now and will come in the fall. I water it when it is dry. it has some new baby growth but has not grown in height. any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: snake plant

Hard to say without a picture, but maybe it's not growing in height 'cause it has focused its energy on growing the baby. With so little info. & no pic, it's a blind guess, but it's something.

Why don't you think that new baby growth is growth?

What kind of light (direct or indirect sun)? How often are you watering?

o

I will get a picture of it in a bit I have it sitting on the patio it gets shade in the am then full sun for about three to four hours and then shade again, I water it when I can remember to. Where I am at has had a lot of rain so I have not had to water it much, I am wondering if it is getting too much rain. Yes your right the baby growth might be good, I was wondering cause all the ones I see are so tall and mine is so bushy. Will go take pictures and try to upload it so you can see. thanks

o

I think your plant might be either a Sansevieria 'Futura' or Sansevieria 'Hahnii'. They come in different colours and don't grow as tall as the "normal" snake plant.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 15:07

If you're fertilizing and the plant is stalled, almost certainly it's badly root bound, the primary symptom of which is an inability to extend.

Al

o

You say that is all bushy. What you could do when you transplant is divide it up into different pots. If the mother plant is making babies that's where your growth is going. When I have plants that start giving me babies I'll take them out of the pot if I can. Think of it this way free plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here