Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunburn or Disease?

Posted by rachels.haven WA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 18:08

So I started some heartleaf philodendron cuttings a few weeks ago and they all rooted, despite being planted in water "upside-down". My question today is unrelated to cutting orientation because apparently for this plant, it decided it didn't matter. Initially a few leaves started dying off-maybe stress or perhaps due to the fact that when the plant had been removed from the store wall by the original owner it had been allowed to go bone dry then left on the front lawn under high noon sun sporting it's free sign. Well, the leaves kept dying one by one whether or not the cuttings had rooted and were actively putting out tiny, new leaves. Then I noticed that there were occasional red spots on the dying leaves. Now it looks like the new leaves have the red spots and are dying, and since those are brand new growth, I'm starting to suspect disease-or sunburn, since I do have them in a bright window-and because I already have a happy, healthy, heartleaf philodendron I don't want to fall ill, I'm considering committing philo-cide and tossing out all these cuttings, new buds and all.
So my question is, in your opinions, does it look like sunburn, or disease?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunburn or Disease?

This leaf just looks weird.

o

More spots.

o

More advanced stage.

o

More.

o

Yellow spots spreading.

o

What it's supposed to look like.

o

it seems to be of little concern if it is out of direct light. Philos naturally lose leaves occasionally. Im shure you are taking care of them properly

o

Hi Rachel,

Are the spots red or brown?

So, the previous owner kept an indirect-light Philo outside, in direct sun? Did they bother watering? How awful is that? !!

Sunburn leaves I've seen turn red, but after Googling sunburned foliage, there are photos with spots similiar to yours.
One site states, sunburned leaves with spots usually have a yellow ring around the burnt area.

Too much sun and water can cause leaf spot.

Now that your Philo rooted, why not pot in soil?
Water, then place in semi-shade about a week, then up to bright-indirect light after your Philo is established.

One site said removing burnt leaves isn't necessary, but I disagree..Although I would keep a couple spotted leaves to see if it spreads..IF spots spread, the problem isn't sunburn.

BTW, isolate from other plants, in case it's diseased.

I checked my Philos after reading your thread. Philos in lower light don't have brown spots, but one Philo, in the upstairs bathroom that gets direct west exposure have similiar spots..It is sunburn. Summer west, on a second floor, unobstructed window is too harsh for Philos.
Thicker leaf types endure brighter light, but your Philo has thin leaves which, in full sun, will burn and spot.

Obviously, previous owners wanted to rid Philos, so they placed any-old-where. They probably assumed, if it died, so be it. Free plant!!!

Good luck, Toni

o

The 1st and 5th look like they are sunburned. The spots are not something I've seen on this kind of plant before.

o

Okay, today is potting day for some african violet cuttings anyway, so I will pot this and isolate at the same time.
Let's see what happens! (the usual decision with house plants :)
-R

o

Well, it looks like the philodendron is going to be healthy. It's showing lots of encouraging, blemish-less new growth. I'm still watching for irregularities as usual, but I think we're out of the woods for now and I'm taking it back with me when I move on Saturday.

Thanks all,
Rachel

o

Nice! Bottom right corner, nice new tip about to unfold. Hope your move goes smoothly!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here