Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
boosting my aloe vera

Posted by vaherbmom (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 18:26

My aloe veras don't grow well--they stay tiny. What am I doing wrong? My other houseplants seem ok.

thanks so much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: boosting my aloe vera

how big of a pot are they in, what mix are they planted in, how much light and water do they get and what (if anything) have you fed them?

This is how I'm growing mine, maybe that'll be helpful.

My aloe is in a relatively small pot at 7.5 inches across and five inches deep. It's in plain old miraclegro. My house is usually a tad on the cold side and there is very low humidity, though every now and then it spends two or three days in my bathroom which gets very, very steamy. It's in bright indirect light, a southern exposure. I hardly ever fertilize it, maybe every three months, but when i do i use a liquid feed called growbest. i think it's an 8-8-8, and it has a decent amount of micronutrients. in between fertilizing I give it a bit of epsom salt in water (perhaps once a month or less) to green it up. I got it when it was about three inches tall and I've had it less than a year. it's about eight inches tall now and has had two babies.

o
RE: boosting my aloe vera

thanks

I've had it in this small pot for years. I used to have really robust ones, a long time ago. I neglected them and then this is all I have left. I did used to keep them in my bathroom.

I will try to follow your method--will change the soil tomorrow. It is in a south facing window on a stand. I rarely feed it but will do so now and try the Epsom salt too.

Thanks so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here