Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spider Plant Questions

Posted by abigail1280 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 18:28

Back in April, I replanted my Hawaiian Spider Plant and put it outside on my screened in porch. Since then, it's sorta gone crazy, and I'm wondering if I should repot it again, or wait.

This was it in April, the one in the green pot:
Photobucket

This is it now, the plant in the same green pot, in the front: (My pug, Miss Abby stepped in at the last moment)
Photobucket

Its just sorta falling over in the pot:
Photobucket

The pretty flowers that have bloomed in the last few days:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spider Plant Questions

It doesn't appear to me as if it would be in need of repotting at all. Especially since it was stepped up just this past April. I wouldn't repot until I saw roots at the top of the soil.

o

I agree. And you could gradually move it into more sun.

o

Abi..I agree and disagree with the above posters. :)

What size are the pots?

Reasons not to repot.

When a Spider is semi-rootbound, off-shoots produce more and faster.
If you tend to over-water, well, you know what happens, root rot.

Reasons to repot.

Roots of a Spider are quite thick..so thick, a few of mine cracked containers.
If you tend to under-water, soil can get so dry, leaves brown/die.

One thing about Spiders, unlike most plants that are said to be repotted (only) in spring, Spiders can be repotted throughout the year. Most of my Spiders produce off-shoots late fall to winter..I don't know if Spiders go dormant. Seems they grow throughout the seasons. Foliage included.

How many days/weeks does soil take to dry? If it dries daily, to the point you have to water every day, then I'd repot. If soil stays wet 5-6 days or more, 'considering pot size, looks 4-5"' then wait. And/or, use a well-draining soil.

It's impossible guessing the size of a pot through pictures. Especially closeups.

PS: If the rootball doesn't fill the pot, it's best to wait. Toni

o

Ok, thanks! I will wait to repot. I'm going to try to find a way to hang it I think. I can't remember what size pot it's in .. 4-5" sounds about right though. It's not very big. And it gets watered about once a week or so

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here