Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My leggy, young prayer plant....

Posted by EmmerEff none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 18:40

My poor little Prayer Plant. I've had him for about a year or so and he was young, sprightly and not tall at all.

He was great until about a month ago. He's always been left 'free' on top of a wardrobe to fall freely and that received ok light. I moved him around to see if he liked other spots but that was his most comfortable.

Now he's massively leggy and spindly and has had no new shoots since being bought but continues to give new leaves. He has a lot of bends in his stems.

My favourite plant, is he ok?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My leggy, young prayer plant....

I don't know how to post multiple pictures in one post sorry....

o

The spindle, the foliage will follow after.

o

foliage - two of the stalks have this foliage, with leaves growing all of the time. I have tried to tame them to grow kind of upright as I'm scared of them snapping, and also the stems are twisted when let loose meaning the leaves are facing upside down and different ways.

Sorry if this is normal, I'm a Prayer plant virgin!

This post was edited by EmmerEff on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 18:48

o

Marantas don't grow upright, as far as I know. Mine grows in a hanging pot so that the foliage can hang over. Yours may need brighter indirect light. I grow mine outdoors hanging from a tree. It gets some early morning sunlight, but is shaded for the rest of the day, receiving some very bright (but indirect) sunlight. When plants don't receive sufficient light, they can't support having a lot of leaves. I just spray mine with the garden hose every other day. (It dries out pretty fast in this Arkansas Summer heat.) Mine has been blooming now for two months. At first, I almost didn't even notice the blooms, because they're so tiny. But now it's covered in them. The individual flowers don't last very long, but more spring up to replace them.

o

That is a lovely plant!

I'm just concerned about the lack of growth near the base and wonder if it would start more foliage near the base on the existing stems. While I understand they aren't meant to be upright as such, it seems to be more trailing than hanging. Would tying them at the base help?

o

More light and repot the plant.

Jane

o

Repot into smaller or bigger? It does not have a massive root ball as I checked for rot about a month ago.

o

Repot into smaller or bigger? It does not have a massive root ball as I checked for rot about a month ago.

o

I would pot it up to say a 6in pot and put it in a really sunny window, allowing it to dry between watering....you will then see new growth, and then can cut out the big leggy guys to get a more bushy plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here