Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Money plant

Posted by eileen_plants z6ny (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 1, 06 at 18:49

I just bought a money plant yesterday and am having trouble finding it in any of my plant books. Can anyone share some info about this plant's needs as to water and light and what its Latin name is? Is it related to a schefflera? Any info much appreciated...Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Money plant

Eileen, it's botanical name is Pachira. Nope not related to Schffleras at all.
They prefer being underpotted, and planted in well=draining soil. Light should be medium..they don't need to be placed in hot sun. In winter, soil should dry out throughly before watering..Toni

o

• Posted by amany Michigan (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 1, 06 at 21:45

Money Tree? I think I have a money tree too...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I'm sorry. I just couldn't help myself! :-)

o

Amany, that is so creative and cute..LOL..I love it. Got any hundreds on that tree? LOL..Toni

o

• Posted by amany Michigan (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 1, 06 at 22:03

Not yet Toni. I'm hoping it will grow a few hundreds when it gets bigger. (smile)

o

Hi Toni thanks for the tips. I'm a bit confused now because after looking at the hilarious picture amany posted, I'm not dure what I have is a money plant. It is braided and has leaves almost identical to a schefflera. A different variety, perhaps? Any suggestions? The florist told me it was a money plant.

o

Amany, good one. Fertilize, fertilize, fertilize. And let me know when you have cuttings to spare. LOL

Eileen, I don't have a money plant but it comes up often on this forum. At the top of this page you'll find a search function where you can type in Money Tree or Pachira to find lots of posts. One of the best IMO is "Sick Looking Braided Money Tree" because it contains a link that tells all about it. Sorry I can't link it for you but links never seem to work for me. Sandy

o

Pachira looks a lot like schefflera, but is not related. You could have a different variety, but I honestly think you've got a whole other plant, very pretty, but I have no idea what it is. Plants get mislabelled all the time at nurseries, and if you can go back there, check for other trees that have the same leaf, and see if they're all labelled the same, or some different, it might help. What I've also done is take a tag, call the mfgr. (google them on the web to find a phone #) and call them, and ask if your 'tri-rounded-lobed' leaves are really a Pachira, or something else entirely.

o

do they naturaly briad like that?

o

I have some information in one of my books, but it is not in english, so I do not think it would be any help. Anyhow, mine MT grows very nicely(knock on wood), the only thing I think may be hard to achieve is they like to be quite cool in winter time, I keep mine in plant room with temp @ 55 at night, and 65 during day time. It survived winter very fine, right now it is outside, by North wall, grew some new leaves. Water when soil is dry, they like loose soil. Good luck

o

Hi, just want to know the latin name for a 'Money plant' the Chinese call ' ONG Plant' ( Goodluck plant?)...A kind of potted plant that growing green fiber stalk with leafs left n right of it. A new shoot normally light green n turn darker when matured. TQ.

o

the one in the purple pot is a Money Tree

o

Hi ,Tq Micke ... I've found the latin name for the said money plant i.e. Zamioculas Zamifolia native of Taiwan ?

o

That is the ZZ plant, this one here,

o

Micke, your ZZ is gorgoues..It's so compact..Mine has 2 stems..lol..but, I know this is going to come back to haunt me, it's not one of my fav plants..

TQ, are you asking for the botanical name of the Money Tree? It's Pachira..Toni

o

Well it is pretty right now, I have only had it since Mothers Day (cool gift huh? and they picked one I wanted, goes to show ya it is sometimes worth dragging the kids around the nursery with you) It does have some new growth on it, I need to get a close up pic of what I am assuming is the bloom on it (the little curly q thing hanging to the left) looks like a spath bloom.
okay sorry for hijacking!!

eileen, is what you have a money tree? (or is it money plant? now I am confused!)

o

Do you have a picture of your plant? Try to upload it if you can. Here are pics of my two money trees. One is almost 7' tall!

http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/2007/08/money_tree.html

http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/2007/08/baby_money_tree.html

o

hey i looked it up its a lunaria biennis plant

o

Tergrov, What is?

Money Tree is Pachira, also called Malabar Chestnut.

Josh

o

The leaves on my money plant started turning yellow and falling off.
Any advice?

o

Yellow leaves are often, though not always, a sign of over-watering.
How often are you watering?

If you're in the cold northern hemisphere, you should only be watering every 7 - 10 days, depending upon:
1). the temperature of the room;
2). the quality of light it receives;
3). and the quality/type of soil in which it grows.

The soil should dry out between waterings.

If the soil is mostly peat-moss, you should change the potting medium when the season is appropriate - otherwise, you'll end up with root-rot/watering issues (no doubt every winter) for the rest of the plant's life.

At this time of year, my Pachira usually looks ratty and sad.

Josh

o
semi furnished specious 2 bhk in bur dubai near bus station

i am thinking of what will happen in nature when money plants grow big ?

o

They become quite large and begin to produce nuts.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here