Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileen_plants

Money plant

eileen_plants
17 years ago

I just bought a money plant yesterday and am having trouble finding it in any of my plant books. Can anyone share some info about this plant's needs as to water and light and what its Latin name is? Is it related to a schefflera? Any info much appreciated...Thank you!

Comments (24)

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Eileen, it's botanical name is Pachira. Nope not related to Schffleras at all.
    They prefer being underpotted, and planted in well=draining soil. Light should be medium..they don't need to be placed in hot sun. In winter, soil should dry out throughly before watering..Toni

• amany
    17 years ago

Money Tree? I think I have a money tree too...

{{gwi:95365}}

I'm sorry. I just couldn't help myself! :-)

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Amany, that is so creative and cute..LOL..I love it. Got any hundreds on that tree? LOL..Toni

• amany
    17 years ago

Not yet Toni. I'm hoping it will grow a few hundreds when it gets bigger. (smile)

• eileen_plants
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Toni thanks for the tips. I'm a bit confused now because after looking at the hilarious picture amany posted, I'm not dure what I have is a money plant. It is braided and has leaves almost identical to a schefflera. A different variety, perhaps? Any suggestions? The florist told me it was a money plant.

• breenthumb
    17 years ago

Amany, good one. Fertilize, fertilize, fertilize. And let me know when you have cuttings to spare. LOL

Eileen, I don't have a money plant but it comes up often on this forum. At the top of this page you'll find a search function where you can type in Money Tree or Pachira to find lots of posts. One of the best IMO is "Sick Looking Braided Money Tree" because it contains a link that tells all about it. Sorry I can't link it for you but links never seem to work for me. Sandy

• lucy
    17 years ago

Pachira looks a lot like schefflera, but is not related. You could have a different variety, but I honestly think you've got a whole other plant, very pretty, but I have no idea what it is. Plants get mislabelled all the time at nurseries, and if you can go back there, check for other trees that have the same leaf, and see if they're all labelled the same, or some different, it might help. What I've also done is take a tag, call the mfgr. (google them on the web to find a phone #) and call them, and ask if your 'tri-rounded-lobed' leaves are really a Pachira, or something else entirely.

• hajir
    17 years ago

{{gwi:95366}}
    do they naturaly briad like that?

• senga
    17 years ago

I have some information in one of my books, but it is not in english, so I do not think it would be any help. Anyhow, mine MT grows very nicely(knock on wood), the only thing I think may be hard to achieve is they like to be quite cool in winter time, I keep mine in plant room with temp @ 55 at night, and 65 during day time. It survived winter very fine, right now it is outside, by North wall, grew some new leaves. Water when soil is dry, they like loose soil. Good luck

• rahman
    16 years ago

Hi, just want to know the latin name for a 'Money plant' the Chinese call ' ONG Plant' ( Goodluck plant?)...A kind of potted plant that growing green fiber stalk with leafs left n right of it. A new shoot normally light green n turn darker when matured. TQ.

• micke
    16 years ago

{{gwi:64233}}

the one in the purple pot is a Money Tree

• rahman
    16 years ago

Hi ,Tq Micke ... I've found the latin name for the said money plant i.e. Zamioculas Zamifolia native of Taiwan ?

• micke
    16 years ago

That is the ZZ plant, this one here,

{{gwi:95363}}
    {{gwi:95364}}

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Micke, your ZZ is gorgoues..It's so compact..Mine has 2 stems..lol..but, I know this is going to come back to haunt me, it's not one of my fav plants..

TQ, are you asking for the botanical name of the Money Tree? It's Pachira..Toni

• micke
    16 years ago

Well it is pretty right now, I have only had it since Mothers Day (cool gift huh? and they picked one I wanted, goes to show ya it is sometimes worth dragging the kids around the nursery with you) It does have some new growth on it, I need to get a close up pic of what I am assuming is the bloom on it (the little curly q thing hanging to the left) looks like a spath bloom.
    okay sorry for hijacking!!

eileen, is what you have a money tree? (or is it money plant? now I am confused!)

• dollymolly
    16 years ago

Do you have a picture of your plant? Try to upload it if you can. Here are pics of my two money trees. One is almost 7' tall!

http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/2007/08/money_tree.html

http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/2007/08/baby_money_tree.html

• tergrov
    15 years ago

hey i looked it up its a lunaria biennis plant

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Tergrov, What is?

Money Tree is Pachira, also called Malabar Chestnut.

Josh

• beckytorrie
    15 years ago

The leaves on my money plant started turning yellow and falling off.
    Any advice?

15 years ago

Yellow leaves are often, though not always, a sign of over-watering.
    How often are you watering?

If you're in the cold northern hemisphere, you should only be watering every 7 - 10 days, depending upon:
    1). the temperature of the room;
    2). the quality of light it receives;
    3). and the quality/type of soil in which it grows.

The soil should dry out between waterings.

If the soil is mostly peat-moss, you should change the potting medium when the season is appropriate - otherwise, you'll end up with root-rot/watering issues (no doubt every winter) for the rest of the plant's life.

At this time of year, my Pachira usually looks ratty and sad.

Josh

• ajay31_thaker_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

i am thinking of what will happen in nature when money plants grow big ?

12 years ago

They become quite large and begin to produce nuts.

Josh

• Math gyb
    7 years ago

The money plant botanical name is Zamioculcas zamiifolia,

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio