Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purslane indoors?

Posted by amccour (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 08 at 18:52

I noticed this growing around the base of the japanese umbrella pine awhile back and let it grow for awhile before taking a cutting. Anyway, the original plant got too big and I potted it too.

I know it's a weed but I think it's a really awesome looking plant. Kinda like a jade plant, in a way. I was wondering, though, if there was any way go overwinter it, or keep it going for more than a single growing season.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purslane indoors?

It is kind of cool, isn't it? I have a small outdoor succulent garden (hardy sedums and sempervivums) and when some purslane (Portulaca olearacea) showed up one year, I let it stay, because it seemed to fit right in.

Unfortunately for your purposes, I'm pretty sure it is a true annual.

o

You ought to give it a try! And be sure to gather some of the tiny black seeds that appear in capsules where the blooms were so you can reseed them next spring.

BTW, purslane is edible and nutritious--high in vitamin C and omega-3 fatty acids.

Here's a link:

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/weedsdiseases/a/purslane.htm

o

• Posted by txcactus 7b Dallas/Fort Worth (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 26, 08 at 10:44

I have 3 pots of purslane. The first winter I let it die and it came back from seed the following spring (when the weather got real warm). This past winter, I brought it in when the weather was too cold (below 40 degrees). I'm having trouble with scale insects attacking it this summer. I'm not sure that it will last another winter. They are generally thought to be annuals. I live in the D/FW area and we usually don't have long stretches of cold weather. I agree that you should give it a try!

o

Well, the two plants I had potted are behaving interestingly. The first one, which was a cutting of the second (before I pulled it up and potted it), flowered, seeded, and it's got one leafless, deadish stem, and another stem that's doing alright, and some seedling growing in the little pot it's in.

Plant 2's gotten incredibly leggy (which I don't mind. It looks neat, here. It's mat-like, but also a little bit upright and looks rather alien. Also it's got a strangely woody looking main stem on it. The largest branch is about as wide as my pinky.) and most of the leaves are smaller, but it doesn't seem to be dying back after going to seed. Not all of the seed pods have ripened yet, but it's been putting out seeds since... late July, I think. We'll see how this goes. Also, the container it's in should've caught enough seeds that if the parent plant dies, I should get some new sprouts.

o

You can in fact grow purslane indoors. It can be fun. It's not too difficult either. Just remember to put the seeds in the fridge before planting.

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Grow Purslane Indoors

o

Purslane is yummy! Kind of tart & juicy - tasty in salad.

o

Can u brace purslane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here