Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted avocado care indoors?

Posted by vaindioux GA-7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 07 at 19:24

Hi

I was wondering how easy it is to keep a potted avocado alive for the winter here in Atlanta.
I keep several tropicals in my non freezing garage during the winter and drag them outside on sunny days.
Would that work with an "Haas avocado"?
They are about 4 feet tall. What are the low temps they can take in pots?

Thanks for your help

Patrick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted avocado care indoors?

Patrick, keeping indoors will involve some work, but w/a sunny window, a bit of humidity, and proper watering, your 'cado should do fine..
Don't know how well it'd do in a garage..what's the lowest temps out there? I know they dislike extreme heat..
Did you start the 'cado from a pit? Is it growing as a tree or bush? I'll browse through plant books to see if there's info on temps..Toni

o

Toni

The avocado is a small tree at a local nursery, I am debating to buy it or not.
All my windows will be taken by other plants (Cactus/palms/Heliconia/Bird of paradise).
If I can get it to live in the garage (Lowest temp 25 degrees but I can provide small space heater.) and drag it outside on warm days with my other tropicals I will get it, otherwise I will pass.

I appreciate the post Toni

Patrick

o

I don't know about one from a nursery, I have a few I have grown from pits, I put them in my bathroom in the winter, has a west light, they are not actually "in" the windows and they do just fine. 25 degrees, I am not sure they could take that, I think anything below freezing is a no-no...

o

If you wrap the pot with blankets when it freezes and cover the foliage with towels it should do fine. A word of advise is to pot up immediately, then make sure the pot is on casters to make moving easier. The growers around here run the sprinklers when it gets too cold, this helps keep them from damage. Avocados require the same care as citrus. My trees are outside for the summer, but will come in in the winter, however i don't run the heater unless you can see your breath, so it gets below freezing inside sometimes. Keep the roots dry when it does get cold otherwise you'll get root rot. It should do fine as long as it's protected.

o

Micke and Mentha

Micke I didn't think about my bathrooms which I have 2 and no plants in there, I might give it a shot there, great idea thanks.

Mentha

You are 2 zones warmer than me, I can imagine your avocado don't suffer much there as far as temps. It doesn't get cold long here, I manage to take all my tender plants out at least once a week, often 3 or 4 days out.

I think I am going to give one a shot.

Thanks a lot

Patrick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here