Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP for my Dieffenbachia plant

Posted by calspootabic CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 19:25

I need help for my Dieffenbachia plant. It was a 7 or 8 foot plant when I had to move and it tipped and broke. I put it in water and ended up with 4 small plants in water. 2 (still in water) are doing great and about 3 feet hight. Occaisionally though a leaf dies and I have to pull it off or the water gets to murky and I have to pull the plants out and untangle their roots and put them back in clean water.

2 smaller one's - the stalk broke so I put one in water and it is doing fine but the other I planted outside and one leaf died so I broke off the part of the stock that was dying and put the other back in water.

How do I plant them or should I just leave them in water?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP for my Dieffenbachia plant

Wow that was huge! Where was your plant before it broke? (inside/outside.) When you tried putting one outside, the leaf that died may have just gotten sunburned after being inside for so long (an assumption.) Diefs are pretty wimpy about direct sun, if any, it should gradually eased into it, starting with just going outside in bright shade for a while, then to a little sun if you want, early AM or late PM. Sunburn can't heal though, (and doesn't usually hit the "would have cut it off soon anyway" leaves,) so keep that in mind.

Whether or not to change from water to soil depends on what you want. If there are a lot of roots, I would trim about half of them off before changing from water to soil. Pics would help a lot with more specific advice.

Did anything grow from the original broken stems/trunks?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here