Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant id #2

Posted by sradleye none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 19:34

Hello, trying to figure out what this plant is. Succulent I picked up from walmart a while back. Has small yellow star shaped flowers. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant id #2

It kind of looks like an elephant bush.

o

No, sorry. On looking closer those are rosettes (tho' it's hard to see), which P. afra (elephant bush) are not.

o

people in succulents and cacti think aichryson,, I am inclined to agree.

o

Sradleye..Are leaves thick or thin?

I don't have the best eyesight, but.....

Can you Google Polyscias?
From what I see, foliage resembles Aralia...not Ming, but a relative.

If leaves are semi-thick, it's not a Poly. Toni

o

sorry my pics are terrible. from my conversations with dr google im still inclined to think its an aichryson

o

Sradleye. Please don't assume it's your photo. Like I stated before, my eyesight isn't the best.
I miss so much...

I'm not familiar w/aichryson.
I Googled aichryson..Aichryson has, at the minimum, 15 species. Which speices do you think your plant is

'Conversations' with Dr. Google??? Toni

o

no clue about species, for now happy to have some word to call it ;) and so overwhelmed trying to learn latin to be able to communicate on here. I like the catchy nicknames lol

o

Oh well, lol.

Learning botanical names is a challenge. Especially pronounciation. Many names are not pronounced as spelled.

Common names are frequently used, especially Spiders Plants.
I'd say most indoor gardeners know which plant someone is referring to when Spider Plant is mentioned.

But, Spider plant is a common name for plants other than Chlorophytum.

o

ive been having a hard enough time with English lately. which once you start looking and see they taught you how to spell (cast spells), write in CURSEive so you can participate in some sort of gram war (grammar) for which somebody is levying some sort of syn tax all of the sudden things don't make nearly as much sense/scents/cents/since

*so chlorophytum is not a spider plant? or some things referred to as spider plants are chlorophytum and others? i seriously need a break from the latin, i went through yesterday and tried to figure all my plants out for my trade list.

o

Spider plant is a common name for Chlorophytum, but as Toni said, it's also a common name for other, unrelated plants.

I'm proud of how so many forum members have learned to use Latin names. In the long run, it makes communication between us a lot easier. In the short run....it's not that hard to learn!

o

Sradleye, I just love some antics! Fun post!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here