Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laceydanger

Name that houseplant

laceydanger
9 years ago

My significant other often brings me home neat houseplants from Trader Joes where he works. These lovely plants rarely have any helpful information on their tag other than "Tropical Plant - This plant may or may not like lots of water. This plant may or may not like lots of light."

I was hoping one of you folks could assist me in identifying this particular potted plant that he brought home for me today.

(He's leaning heavily, might need a repot.)

Comments (16)

• pirate_girl
    9 years ago

Hi,

I believe it's a Philodendron of some kind, don't know which. I currently have one w/a similar look but haven't narrowed down its ID.

It's my first one, so I'll leave it to others to advise you on its care, except that I've heard it can do well in lower light conditions.

• Herb888
    9 years ago

I need help to identify the house plant in my photo. Thank you!

• flowerpottipper
    9 years ago

Some type of jewel orchid for the 2nd pic.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

The orchid is a terrestrial orchid Ludisia discolor - FlowerPotTipper is right - a.k.a. jewel orchid.
    Small white flowers on long/tall spikes; will have more intense color (leaves) if not in direct sun.
    Rina

• grrr4200
    9 years ago

Hey Lacey, i believe the plant you have is Philodendron prince orange. Awesome plant, can get big in the right conditions. I keep mine in a north west window below the window so its not getting hot hot sun, mostly bright light. its growing beautifully. I have been allowing mine to dry between waterings and i havent had an issue with it since i brought it home. Really pretty plant, especially its new leaves. Happy Growing!

• laceydanger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help guys! I think you hit the nail on the head!

• Herb888
    9 years ago

FlowerPotTipper / Rina,
    Thank you. I have confirmed that it is Ludisia discolor, commonly referred to as jewel orchid. It is a beautiful house plant which can be potted with basic houseplant mix such as that recommended for African violets.
    Herbert

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Herbert

Yes, it is beautiful and really easy to grow - much easier than any other orchid (at least for me!)
    BTW, I see you are supporting it; you could plant it in a hanging basket & let the stems hang down. Obviously, your choice, whatever you like best.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 21:20

• Herb888
    9 years ago

Hi Rina, this Jewel Orchid is not mine. I am house sitting for my friends on vacation. However, now I have a small cutting that came off the mother plant. While asking some my friends to id this plant. One of them gave me one of her extract plant that looks like the jewel orchid with all burgundy leave (my second posting - so far no body is able to id it). This plant is on a bamboo stick support because the room doesn't have a place where it can be hanging. It does takes up less space. Thank you for your suggestion.
    P.S. What is the fast way to get to my postings response?
    Herbert

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Herbert, not sure what you are asking. If you are still looking for an answer to this question, ask again in a different way? The answer may be to use the search thing and type in your user name.

• Herb888
    9 years ago

I am trying to get to the response to my question directly. If I do a search on "Herb888 posting", I'll see my posting but without the responses to them.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Herb, when I click on your profile, there's no option to send you an email. You may need to tweak the settings for your account on GW. There's a checkbox for receiving replies whenever you start a discussion or reply to one, but it may not show up on the page if your settings aren't configured for that.

• susancarol
    9 years ago

That first pic is not Prince of Orange but it is a top heading philo. Prince of Orange is green and orange.

• Herb888
    9 years ago

purpleinopp, thank you. Done

• stewartsjon
    9 years ago

The Philodendron is Imperial Red.