Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus leaves bleaching and browning!

Posted by Alexis_DC DC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 20:05

Hello fellow gardeners,

Please let me know if you have insight as to why my indoor ficus fiddle leaf tree is bleaching and browning. It's dropping leaves now.

The leaves started to bleach and brown a few months ago. I thought it was nutrition/drainage. Two weekends back I changed the soil. Here's what I did:

Bottom or pot is mix of perlite and round river rock
Middle section is mix of potting mix and perlite
Top section is only potting soil (Espoma Organic Potting Mix)

Two leaves have dropped since. The soil isn't really drying out.

Please let me know if you have any experience with these types of symptoms?

Alexis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus leaves bleaching and browning!

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 14:46

Hi - I rec'd your message.

When roots are not functioning well or are damaged by the environment surrounding them, they have trouble moving water to all the plant's living parts. The first parts affected are usually the leaf tips and margins. If you've never noticed wilting foliage, you can be pretty sure your problem lies with excess water retention or a high level of salts in the soil. These might seem like problems with different causes, but both are closely related to soil choice as the primary, and to a secondary degree, watering habits.

Your soil should not hold so much water after a thorough watering that it causes prolonged periods of impaired root function and death of a fraction of the root mass. The all-important fine roots can begin to die in as little as an hour or two in soils that remain soggy after a thorough watering. The key to reducing the bad kind of water retention is using soils made of mostly large particles. A good soil is a soil we can water correctly w/o compromising the plant's vitality. If we can't properly water a plant in a particular soil, it's difficult to see how we could define a soil as a GOOD soil if we can't water plants in it correctly.

What are you fertilizing with? Are you watering while the soil is still damp near the top?

Al

o
RE: Ficus leaves bleaching and browning!

Al,

Thanks for responding. Wow, I lost 4 leaves today.

I have been fertilizing with Miracle Gro miracid and all purpose ~ 1 a month. I moved in November, maybe the water here is bad? This started >2 months ago.

Haven't watered since repotting because the top soil didn't dry out (2 wks back).

Also. Recently I crushed much of the fine root structure with bad repotting technique.

I am thinking emergency re-pot with heavier particle soil?

I appreciate your help,

Alexis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here