Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
goldfish plant not blooming

Posted by moonie_57 8 NC (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 20:16

Again I will apologize for the poor picture quality. Regardless of how it looks, the plant is very green, just bad cell phone camera. LOL

Anyway, this plant had 1 or 2 flowers several months ago and nothing since. It's in the greenhouse, gets good filtered light, not overwatered, well draining soil. It isn't potted in the red pot, just sitting inside the red pot. I had been fertilizing but stopped when it wouldn't flower. Don't understand why it isn't blooming.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: goldfish plant not blooming

Moonie, your plant could be a Nematanthus, but it's not the common Gold Fish Plant with orange goldfish shaped flowers.

There is a Gesneriad called, Downy Leaf Gold Fish, (strigillosos,) which could be the plant you have.

Either way, is it getting a lot of sun? Its cousin, Lipstick Plant won't bloom unless it gets direct west light.
Also, Nemanthus like being slightly root-bound. If the pot is too large, it'll grow leaves in place of blooms.

What type of fertilizer were you using? Toni

PS: I like your Nemanthus better than the common type.

o

Hi Moonie, I have a goldfish plant also and I would say mine isn't a good bloomer either. Mine does bloom, but only a few now and then. I have it under some Palm trees where it gets filtered, bright light for about half a day. I fertilize mine with a weak solution(about half strength) once a week. Personally I would start fertilizing it again(weakly)...but don't use fertilzers with a high middle number (Bloom booster), those have very high phosphorus and can do more harm than good.

Good luck! Hope it blooms soon...

Hi Toni!!

o

Toni - well, that would be cool if it were to be a Downy, but the leaves are not hairy at all. Maybe repotting it has slowed down the blooming process. I think I'll start fertilizing again with a weak miracle grow solution.

Thanks to both of you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here