Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Latest plant purchase

tropicbreezent
10 years ago

Yesterday I was wandering around one of the large store nurseries but couldn't see much that grabbed my attention, apart from a few very over priced plants. So I came back to this Aglaonema. Only a tiny plant and cheap.

Comments (13)

• marquest
    10 years ago

It is pretty one that I killed. If you want a name it looks like Aglaonema "Donna Carmen"

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

What planet did that thing come from? That is so cool!

• flowerpottipper
    10 years ago

Oh, I want one so bad, and it even has the same name as me (Carmen) so we belong together. I have the other pink aglaonema, and I see them for sale everwhere, but not that one....maybe one day...

Anyways, that's a very beautiful plant, it'll get bigger before you know it, but even small it's super cute!!

Fpt

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

A lot of these cultivars started out in Thailand or Indonesia. I don't know that they are "stable" enough to actually take a name yet, though there are some "named" ones here. But the introduction of pinks and especially reds, makes this a fantastic indoor plant. Luv 'em

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got it from Bunnings, and I looked at the larger ones. None of them were quite like this one so I suspected that what I was getting will not be what I end up with. But it's still a nice bit of colour.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

That's a pretty little guy, I would have gotten it too. Is this plant hardy where you are?

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've got a couple already, not the same patterns but still with the red in them. Actually, I've got more. A frond fell on one of the plants and broke it. I just put the broken bit in the ground and it's still going well. I like that in plants, I can envisage having a large population of them later on. The first one I bought I split up and that's how I ended up with a couple. They seem to like it here, but the approaching spring might stress them a bit. Following that they should be wallowing luxuriantly again.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Tropic..love your Aglaonema.. Such beautiful colors. Red center is striking.

The tag resembles Exotic Angel Nursery. Is it?

There's a zillion new varieties, so it's difficult finding the exact cultivar.

One seller in Thailand had 50-60 Aglaos.. Very healthy, colorful specimens..Even greens were gorgeous.
    Last time I checked his site, he only sells Hoyas and Hoya cuttings.
    Wish he still had Agalos..we might have been able to Name Your Plant. Toni

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni, the tag only has the tag manufacturers label on it. But it came from Bunnings, they would have just brought them in from Thailand. A lot of our stuff comes from Thailand, it's relatively close. The owners of my local nursery often go there to purchase as well. Not bad if you can write off a trip to Thailand as a business expense. Bangkok has a similar climate to ours so what they produce usually does well here.

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

Bunnings wouldn't be importing directly, they'd be buying from a local grower, who as you say would have probably acquired the material from OS. As you say most of the stock is coming in from Thailand or China. I bought at least 4 very large different plants from Markwell nurseries on the sunshine coast, Qld. They have heated greenhouses so they overwinter brilliantly. For a while they were selling on Ebay but don't risk it in the cooler months in case the plants suffer from the temp changes in transit. I would highly recommend them though, beautiful plants and sent superbly.

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

Aglaonema (Siam Red) is one of the latest purchases for me, too. Haven't seen this variety before, so I latched onto it with my sweaty little palms as soon as I saw it at Walmart. Looks very healthy, and the roots were healthy too. The best $13 I ever spent.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Tropic, do tags contain bar codes?
    If you type a bar code in your search engine, most of the time, 'not always,' nursery name and location will display.

Do products have bar-codes there?

Ohhh, Thailand's Aglaos, heck, all their plants are amazing!

Green Toe..ohh, your Aglao is pretty, too.
    Strange as it may seem though, I have an Aglao 'Siam Red,' but it looks nothing like yours. lol.

Gotta love labels. Toni

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni, the only bar code was on a separate price sticker, google couldn't find anything. I think as Alison said above, they're probably still a bit unstable so that's where you'd get variation in same named plants.