Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kalanchoe with brown curled leaf tips

Posted by bumblebeez z7b Seneca SC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 20:36

A basic grocery store bright pink Kalanchoe has done well since April. After it's first bloom I cut the plants (3 in a pot) back fairly hard, gave it some miracle grow and it bloomed again just as nicely.

However, all the big leaves have gotten brown edges, then curl and I pull them off.
What is causing this?

It is indoors and gets lots of sun. Enough sun to grow geraniums, amaryllis, etc.
Thank you for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kalanchoe with brown curled leaf tips

Bumblebee, what exactly is pink Kalanchoe? Do you have a picture?
Are the leaves pink? Sounds like a very plant.

How many times have you fertilized? and did you follow directions/dossage? Toni

o

Thanks for replying Toni. It's just a basic grocery store type of Kalanchoe - the only kind I know- and the flowers are hot pink.
I fertilized it once with liquid MG (1 tab/gallon) and it rebloomed great. But the outer leaves are curly and brown- although I have removed all brown leaves.

o
RE: brown edges

I guess you're talking about K. blossfeldiana?? Perhaps you can Google that name and see if it's the same plant?

It's amazing you got your Kal to bloom a second time so soon after the first. Normally, after they flower, then in order for this type of Kal to rebloom is by either giving it shorter days for six weeks or a few weeks of cold, and withholding water.
I've never cut mine back, it'd be a great experiment.

The only thing about the type that confuses me is you said its leaves are large. What do you consider large?

If a leaf breaks just set it on soil and it'll root. Same with a stem. Well, if it's a stem, you're better off inserting the entire stem in soil.
Are brown edges crispy or soft? Toni

o

The brown edges are crispy. The plants have new leaves that are small and older leaves that are large. I have also read that it is hard to get it to rebloom but it rebloomed great so I thought I would put some effort into keeping it!
Thanks for your help.

o

Bumblebee, if the leaves are crispy, your Kal might need more water. As long as soil doesn't stay wet at all times.
It's possible nutrients are focusing on flowers instead of leaves which might be the reason they're smaller.
Or give them time to grow..
I'm not telling you how to grow your Kal, but after blooms fade, perhaps it's best to allow the Kal to rest. I wouldnt force bloom so soon. Toni

o

I just wanted to pop in and say that you are only supposed to use one teaspoon of MG per gallon of water for houseplants. If you used one tablespoon of MG per gallon, your problem may be partly caused by fertilizer burn. Then again, I have a K. blossfeldiana that hardly ever gets fed, and it gets the occasional brown leaf--probably because I need to water it more often. They do like to go mostly dry between waterings, but they shouldn't be allowed to dry out completely. At least, not very often.

Taking them out of the hot evening sun may also be a good idea, since they prefer some shade during the summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of florist's K. blossfeldiana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here