Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
czygyny

Anyone skilled in growing Adiantum peruvianum?

czygyny
9 years ago

I'm trying it again after having one many years ago and want to know if anyone has grown this plant to maturity.

The silver-dollar maidenhair is a tricky plant to grow especially in our very dry California climate, the best I can do is 50% inside the house and around 85� in the day for summer (the humidity will go up and the day temps will go down if I ever get my evaporative cooler running again)

I do want to know how big of a pot can I expect this plant to need by the time it gets mature.So far it loves the way I have it growing. It is in a six-inch clay pot sitting in deep pea gravel with a collar of sphagnum moss to maintain humidity, and I want to make something similar for the larger plant.

Comment (1)

• grrr4200
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is what i found on a website where people sell Just these types of ferns

Also called Silver Dollar. It’s a large specie native to Peru. The new growth is oval shaped and displays a pink shaded, later turning to pale green with a metallic sheen and finally to dark green, hence its name. Easy to grow prefers bright place but can grow in the shaded position with high humidity.

Our maidenhair fern collection including many species and varieties of adiantum, doryopteris and hermionitis (the last two families are closed to adiantum, which is real maidenhair fern). In general this fern is somewhat a sensitive plant so not recommend for a novice; requires well-drained, a bit high pH and airy soil. Also need stable humid environment at high level (at least 50-60%) with air movement. From this they are ideal for greenhouse and shaded garden position. However, there're some species grow well in terrarium too.

The most important tips is that you must bury their rhizomes about 1-1.5 inches below the soil EXCEPT the adiantum capilus-veneris, which prefer to stretch their rhizomes on soil surface and can be rotten easily if you bury them. In this case I suggest you use U-shape wire to attach them with the ground.

Light and temperature are also what we should concern for this plant Adiantum tenerum is only a specie requires high light level (here we grow them under 60% sunshaded netting) to promote their growth and make the new growth colorful.Others prefer shaded position. The best range of temperature is around 22-28 c degrees. However, some specie such as a. raddianum, a. reniforme and a. macrophyllum, since they endemic to sub-tropical climate, need a bit cool weather to grow well.

and this
    "Silver Dollar Maidenhair Fern" We hope to have these available again throughout the Fall Season! Large dramatic species with pink toned new foliage hardening into rich green arching fronds. Must have high humidity to perform well--loves a large Wardian Case as its home (this is far too large for a small or narrow terrarium); nonetheless, if given a cool bright windowsill, sweet soil and a carefully tended pebble tray, it will also become an impressive specimen given time and humidity as a houseplant. And with sweet soil, always a star in any hobby greenhouse. Always a popular and much sought after dramatic rarer plant!

and this was very informative as well

The maidenhair ferns are delicate ferns with very small fronds and a lacy appearance. These are considered hardy ferns, rather than tropical ferns, but don't let the description fool you: these can be difficult plants to keep in good health indoors. They are particular as to their conditions, with an especially high requirement for humidity. No matter, though, because they are beautiful and lend a very exuberant look to their rooms.

Growing Conditions:

Light: Shady. Do not expose to any direct sunlight or even especially bright light.
    Water: Water freely in summer and keep moist in winter. Place the pot in a tray of pebbles to keep humidity elevated and spray frequently.
    Temperature: These are best kept above 70ºF. Do not expose to cold drafts or temperatures below 60ºF if possible.
    Soil: Rich, loose, organic compost.
    Fertilizer: Feed biweekly with weak liquid fertilizer during growth season

Propagation:

By spore or division. Larger plants can be divided during repotting.

Repotting:

Annually or biannually, depending on the pot size and growth rate. They don't mind being a little underpotted, but repot when the roots fill the pot. Divide the plant during repotting to increase your collection.

Varieties:

There are a number of maidenhair ferns available, all with pretty much the same cultural requirements. The delta maidenhair fern (A. raddianum) is considered one of the easier varieties to grow, but the Venus maidenhair (A. cappillus-veneris) is also popular. The A. hispidulum, or Australian maidenhair, features interesting reddish foliage on young fronds.

Grower's Tips:

Maidenhair ferns are widely spread throughout the world and grow wild in many temperate countries. To thrive indoors, it is essential to provide enough warmth and moisture to keep the plant active. If temperatures fall too low, or the plant dries out, it will likely go dormant, just as it would in the wild. Many growers have success keeping these plants in a shady corner or under a plant bench in glassed-in solariums or sun rooms.

hope that helps some! goodluck and happy growing!