10 years ago

I need the name of this plant

Comments (19)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Pilea.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I 'think ' that it's Pilea involucrata 'Norfolk ', isn't it, PG? I love so many of the plants in this genus.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hi Evelyn, welcome to Gardenweb! Nice-looking Pilea!

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I believe that to be a Pilea chandieri cultivar, but I have never even seen this plant in real life so im probally wrong

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

I believe that to be a Pilea chandieri cultivar, but I have never even seen this plant in real life so im probally wrong

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

I have this. It needs more sun than your usual shade plants. I notice something strange about them: some of the leaves turn partial-albino, possibly in low light. See image below. I don't know why?

{{gwi:90311}}

10 years ago

teen, I think that you mean Pilea cadierei, which is what is commonly called Aluminum Plant. It's not the same thing as pictured by evelyn.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Rhizo, you're right. Evelyn's plant is Pilea involucrata 'Norfolk.'

Teen. Is the name you posted spelled correctly? I Googled the name you typed, but it read, 'No Results, Check Spelling.'

Juju, do you rotate your plant?
    All I know is they like partial shade and need high humidity.
    Is it possible your Pilea is getting too much sun? Or could it be variegated, which would be a pleasant surprise.

I like both your Pileas. Toni

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Rhizo,

My original text said Pilea, but I didn't know which. But I chose to shorten my answer.

I am hard pressed to believe that after all that ensued here recently, TG sees fit to tell Rhizo (of all people), what kind of plant she's talking about (w/ no info at all to back it up). Geez!

10 years ago

I assumed that he just didn't see my response. If I don't 'refresh ' my computer, I may not see any recent responses.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Frankly, I find my computer refreshes itself, from what I've seen (at least my laptop does), always putting most recent up top (assuming that's what you mean).

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

Yes I did spell the name wrong. No I didnt see Rhrizos post. Karen I was not trying to be rude.....................

To be continued..........................

10 years ago

What I meant was that some computers are slow to show the most current posts. My computer doesn't bring threads up to date unless I remember to refresh. If I don't (known to happen), then I might respond to something pretty old....not aware that others have already made brilliant comments. :-)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

teen

this is just a very friendly remark, I absolutely don't want to start 'bashing'...there was long time between rhizo's post and yours (approx. 11 hrs or so); I am just wondering if you have chance to read answers by others before posting yours?

Cross-postings happens, but hardly after so many hours and couple of posts, unless one doesn't check if the answer was given yet or not.
    I don't know this plant, but rhizo also mentioned that one you ID-ed it as is different plant.

Not sure what you mean by To be continued..........................?

10 years ago

Having seen something in a pic (but not in person, as said,) that looks similar could actually be helpful. Not sure why this has turned into such picking the gnat poo out of the pepper. No rules have been broken. Many including myself suggest ID's for plants often, that may or may not be the right one, and I don't understand why this one became so unpleasant and tense.

I interpreted "to be continued" as open to learning something new, being at the end of an apology.

Trying to ID a plant isn't a game where some wins the correct answer, at least not to me. And someone repeating the answer doesn't take anything away from the first person who said it. When I have a mystery plant, I love to hear every similar plant anyone can name if they can think of such. Obviously I like the new mystery I got, so why wouldn't I like others that are similar.

There are a lot of Pileas, similar looking. Those who enjoy Pilea might also like Hemigraphis.

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Update of mine:

{{gwi:95916}}

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Wow Juju!

Pretty amazing what a couple of weeks will do!

Looking GOOD! :)

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 18:55

Please tell me more about Hemigraphis. I saw them in stores. They look like ready for a plate of salad :)I am not sure how to appreciate them as a potted plant. Please explain. Thank you :)

This post was edited by jujujojo on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 11:54

10 years ago

Explain how to appreciate a potted Hemigraphis? Besides saying some things I think are hilarious but would probably not hit the 'funny' mark, I have no idea what to say. Doubtful it's edible though!