Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rubber plant

Posted by Nitrobucket NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 21:06

Hi. Ive had my indoor rubber plant for 3 years. every summer i prune the longest branches and try to make a new plant out of them. Occasionally it works, but most of the time, the new plant starts to wrinkle and turn black from the bottom of the stem and i notice that no roots have grown out of it. What is the best way to propagate this plant right after I cut it from the tree?
thanks
Dimitry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rubber plant

They seem to strike best from hardwood or semi-hardwood, your cuttings may simply be a bit "too new" and "sappy" to strike.
Have you considered air-layering? You may have to start a little lower on the selected branch but then get those roots which will then allow you to chop off the piece to pot up.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 18:00

They're actually rather easy to root in a damp, airy medium, but air-layering makes things almost foolproof. You can start an air layer to be separated next summer now if you like, but you'd be better off if you waited until sometime between Father's Day and the 4th of July to stick cuttings.

Al

o

After you cut it, let it dry off for a while and heal. The leaves might drop off but the stem will stay viable for quite a long time. I have trouble after doing some pruning on them. The off cuts will sprout roots if left laying on the ground. Not good if you want to get rid of them. But quite easy if you want new plants. And as Alison said, better with hardwood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here