Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Houseplant Identification

Posted by Zen131 Seattle, WA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 21:24

Hi, I'm new to houseplants and this forum. I recently purchased a plant did not have an identification marker. I'd really like to know what it is so that I can care for it properly. The link to the photo is below--any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
~Zen

Here is a link that might be useful: My Mystery Plant

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Houseplant Identification

It's one of the Fittonias, aka 'nerve plant'. I don't remember the species name, but you can google that pretty easily.

o

Hi Zen & welcome,

Yes, that is a Fittonia, a lower light plant that likes high humidity. I've grown it successfully in a bathroom window behind frosted glass or in a terrarium kept on the edge of a window. I find them very pretty.

When I moved into this apartment (23 yrs. ago) I carried in my arms a large terrarium of this very Fittonia. The moving driver offered me money for it. I had it for some time, very nice plants.

Other than wanting the high humidity they're pretty carefree. They do benefit from being pinched back frequently (after 2nd or 3rd pair of leaves). Enjoy.

o

Zen, Welcome to GardenWeb.

Your plant is Fittonia argyoneura...common name, Silver Nerve Plant.

Although Fittonias are sometimes grown as a house plants, they're mainly sold as outdoor, annual, Accent Plants and ground covers.

Since you mentioned you were new growing house plants, 'and I wish you the best of luck,' Fittonia's are somewhat fussy.

As Karen stated, she grew hers in a terrarium.

Fittonias are humidity-lovers, but fresh air is important, too. If you decide to place yours in a terrarium, ventilation is needed. Fresh air. Soil should be kept moderately moist, but not soggy. Pinch the top two to four leaves every other month so it doesn't get spindly.

I hope your Fittonia lives forever, but if by chance you lose it, don't be discouraged. Toni

o

Thanks for the welcome, everyone :)

The fittonia was in sad shape when I got it. It had many brown leaves and the pot had a huge crack in it. It seems to be doing well since I got it home but I'm wary of how it will fare during a pacific northwest winter.

o

Well Zen,

If you're nervous about it going into the Winter, perhaps from the pinching back you'll do going in the Fall, you could likely re-start the tip pinchings in some perlite kept moist & covered, that way you could start more plants.

o

• Posted by Zen131 Seattle, WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 14:41

Thanks Pirate Girl. Great suggestion!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here