Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pachira leaves browning at the tips

Posted by bergeby 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 21:24

I have a pachira that I got mid-march, and it's been growing well (after a bout before I began to fertilize, where the plant dropped nearly all of its leaves and looked close to death (it's healthy and green again)), but today I noticed that the tips of the leaves are browning a little bit?

I have a theory about this, but I would like if someone could possibly verify or disprove? I think that I'm watering it too much, which makes sense because I water it once a week. Technically, this is indirect watering, because it shares a tray with my syngonium plants, all of which get a bit wilty if I don't water once a week, but the water creeps over to the pachira. I use 1/4th strength fertilizer, which is what it gets watered with.

I plan to move the pachira onto its own tray and not water it for a few weeks, but do you think I'm right about this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pachira leaves browning at the tips

Hard to say. Usually, brown leaf tips mean brown root tips....and overwatering is one cause. Excess salts in the medium are another cause, as is bound roots. I would recommend that you re-pot the plant into a fast-draining mix to avoid root-rot in the future. Post pics for better advice.

Josh

o

It's true that it might also have an excess of salt, I noticed that the pot (terra cotta) was getting some white buildup around the bottom, which came off easily.

It currently is planted in a fast(ish)-draining mix. I don't have a specific recipe (not just yet), but I used mostly pine bark and gravel/stones (purchased from my local gardening store, so not like road gravel). I re-potted it into this maybe in late April, and it's been fine up until now.

I'll follow up with two more pictures, closer in on the leaves so you can tell more exactly the problem.

(sorry that the photo is rotated, the image uploading really could stand to be updated)

o

close up one, you can see some of the browning.

o

last picture. Oh! and before I forget, I made sure to check, but none of the trunks are soft, they're all nice and firm and healthy feeling, so I'm not sure it's gotten as bad as root rot yet.

o

Give the mix a good flushing, and then perhaps fertilize at full strength once a week (or whatever the directions on the package say). I wouldn't let it sit in the water...let it drain.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here