Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Succulents in Pennsylvania?

Posted by fandog 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 21:32

Recently moved and i found a whole patch of these on the east side of the house. They have squishy leaves like a succulent and form pups as they grow which explains the huge patch of them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Succulents in Pennsylvania?

sempervivum, people have them in there landscaping some here in western ny as well

o

Awesome, thanks. At the risk of being scolded by someone for not only talking about houseplants, could these sempervivum be used on banks that are too steep to mow. Some people use ivy or blue junipers as ground cover, but if it would work it would be cool to use these.

o

from what I've seen its pretty hard to get scolded here. now if you head into some of the other sections then use caution! lol

I know nothing about landscaping but my thought is maybe the incline would improve drainage thus giving the succulent the dry environment it wants? plus lots of sun

o

I wouldn't be too worried about not being relevant, house plants forum isn't fussy about that. Usually we all just like to talk about plants...period, and always enjoy photos of plants. Purple has a better way of putting it....(pretty sure it's purple?).

Anyway, it will probably work, but i'm worried if it will be dense enough to keep out unwanted plants. Wouldn't be fun weeding a steep bank while avoiding stepping on sempervivum. This is a good topic for cacti & succulents forum. You'll get reliable information from them on whether or not it's a good idea. I'll provide a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cacti & Succulent forum

o

Yes they work wonders on a hill and you will not have to worry about watering or mowing. Do a google on them you may find you want to buy more and add to what you have. You can buy some other colors.

They do grow close enough to smother weeds but depending on how big the hillside is it may take a few years. I used them on a slope and between bricks. They like lean soil which also keeps out weeds because the soil is not rich and because you will water less even the weeds that may come up here and there die from the dry.

This is a slope at another house. I laid some cardboard down, picked up some marble chips and planted. I made pockets between the rocks put some soil in and planted the sempervivum.

photo DSC00017.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here