Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elsier

clivia flower question

elsier
12 years ago

I have a new Clivia miniata. It is just flowering. However, the flowers are remaining down beteween the leaves, instead of sending up a long stem first. Does the plant need more light? Or is there something else causing this?

Thanks,

Elsie

Comments (8)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Elsie, are they buds or flowers? If buds, before opening they grow in-between the leaves. I don't know what you mean by remaining down between the leaves.

What color are the flowers? Toni

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

I know what Elsie means, but forgot what I read was the reason this happens. I think she means that the bud cluster starts to open before getting tall enough to be seen above the leaves.

• elsier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry I was not clear. The flowers are opening up while they are still down in between the leaves as pirategirl guessed.

The flowers are yellow.

Elsie

• gravyboots
    12 years ago

That happened with mine this year too - the flowers were all flat, smooshed down in-between the leaves. Plus, it looked like there were only a couple flowers.

I, too, am curious to know what's going on!

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Folks,

Pls. do a search on Clivia care to find out about this, I have read the reason, I'm rackin' my brain as I just can't remember.

I've never got a Clivia mature enough to bloom, I'm sure if I had, I'd remember this. Will try to remember to check a home reference book.

• debbiecz3
    12 years ago

It has to do with watering. The plant rests through fall and winter; in winter it should be kept cool and dry. After that, watering should increase slowly or the emerging buds will get caught among the leaves. When the flower stem is 4 inches long, move the plant to a warmer place and water more but do not overwater. Do not turn the plant at all. Cut the stem off after flowering to prevent the plant's energy going into fruit formation. I have found it is best to keep your plant outside in a shady spot until temperatures approach freezing. This helps encourage flowering for the next year. Elsie, the stem may still grow above the leaves. I have had mine take some time to grow up between the leaves. This is a very forgiving plant. One year my husband left a window open on a day with minus 30 temps with my clivia in front of it. She partially froze and I thought she was a goner but she did fine and bloomed beautifully that spring.

• elsier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info Debbie. My flower stem finally started to grow a little. The flowers are still between the leaves, but are not getting smashed anymore. I moved it from a rather shady corner to a spot where it gets more light.

Elsie

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Another thing that can affect flower stalk length is light.

The more light you provide the shorter the stalk gets. I encourage mine to grow up and over the plant by keeping them in low light conditions until I am ready for them to open.

Hello Toni!

Good luck

Mike