Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jameya

making gritty 5-1-1 mix questions..

jameya
9 years ago

Hello all,
I am attempting to make the gritty soil 5-1-1 mix for the first time. I must admit when looking for the materials to use, i did not realize that certain brands were listed and i went out and bought a few things i thought would work, but now i am wondering if i should take it back, and then start over looking for the mentioned brands instead. I took some pictures of what i have already bought and if it dont look good, or wont work can someone please tell me?? If any of them will work, i will just keep them and next time around when i make this i will know what to look for exact things. I am thinking ive read the turface is a pretty important item in this, so i am thinking more then likely i will have to find that.
Also i am having issues with finding the pine bark. Im in central indiana and have checked lowes, menards, rual king, a feed store that usually carries random gardening items as well as a nursery. None of these places had the smaller pine bark. I have found pine mulch at some of these places, but they are too big to use for soil for houseplants. I just read a thread on here that maybe reptile pine bark might work in a pinch maybe, but if i can avoid doing that and getting the right stuff for it, i would rather do it that way.
Does anyone have any advice they can share, or know where could be my best bet to find some of these items??
Thanks,
Jamey

Comments (4)