Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
indoor houseplant problems

Posted by wrig1969 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 22:22

I have an oxalis plant that was slowly dying so I moved it outside and bingo - in about a week it perked up and is doing fine now. I also have several lemons that have severely curled up leaves some of which yellow and drop off. I've lost about 4 lemons. I set on of my sickliest lemons outside and it seems to have benefited as well. I have an electric heat pump and air. My humidity is about 50%. What is wrong? (Plants are in a fairly well lit kitchen with lots of windows.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: indoor houseplant problems

Indoor light, no matter how bright, doesn't come anywhere close to what's outdoors.

o

I know nothing about lemons but doubtful it's possible to have a great specimen inside. They are full sun trees in a natural setting.

Oxalis is a bulb plant that can go dormant at times (of low light, low moisture, low temps, really high temps.) Do you know which Oxalis it is? Knowing where you are could help the discussion/advice to be as accurate and relevant as possible.

o

I have an update on my lemon tree problem. I had the soil tested & the pH was 4.6-apparantly I was overfeeding them (30-10-10) & the excess nitrogen was lowering the pH. Does this sound plausible? P & K levels were also very high.

o

you need to flush it with lots of water - sev times the volume of the pot. or put in the sink and run slowly water thru the pot for 10 min.
citrus forum has excellent info on growing citrus part indoors (winter) part outdoors. you need to repost there for feed/repot advice.
most citrus need to be outside during the warm months to do good. calamondin and meyer lemon can survive indoors in southern window. otherwise even they need to go outside. they can take part-sun - like 6 hours. but do better with more sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here