Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pothos with little holes in the leaves

Posted by pinkiemarie none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 22:25

This is an established pothos that I've had for about 2 years named Jacques. Overall he seems quite healthy but he's got about 5 leaves with these strange little holes in them. The holes run in a straight line and don't seem to bother the leaf. I can't see any pests on him. The photo I uploaded, FYI, is a brand new leaf about 2 weeks old. He lives in a hanging pot and doesn't get great light. Any ideas? I just want to be sure it's not some pest that's bothering him. I know it could be a symptom of light or water, but it's on so few leaves...Thanks! :)

PS, sorry for the low quality of the picture. Cell phone doesn't have a very good camera!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pothos with little holes in the leaves

Very difficult to see much on that photo. But Pothos is an Epipremnum. Do a search on Epipremnum images and you'll see a lot of them have holes in leaves and/or split leaves. If the holes are regular and don't look "bitten" then I wouldn't worry.

o

That damage occurred when the leaf was still rolled up when very young. This kind of physical damage is caused by some sort of accidental injury in your home unless it lives outside. I would then suggest an insect of some sort.

What does the rest of the plant look like?

o

Rhizo 1 - the rest of the plant looks really nice with the exception of just a few leaves. Now that you mention it, it does look like someting could have happened to these leves while they were still rolled up. That would explain why the holes go in such a straight line. Hmmm. He's hanging, so physical damage is unlikely. I'm kind of thinking it isn't a pest because the vast majority of the leaves look fine. Weird.

o

Insects can do this kind of damage but those are typically observed outside. I'd not worry about this.

o

Looks like physical damage to me, e..g the leaf might have got rubbed before it unfurled, or folded somehow.

It's nothing to worry about IMHO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here