Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spider plant attacked by mice

Posted by AmandaR83 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 22:42

My family and I have a very old(we're talking older than I am at 31) spider plant that belonged to my great grandmother. We took it in after my grandmother, the previous owner, moved into a small apartment after her husband passed. Unfortunately, we have a small issue with field mice that we just can't seem to deal with no matter how many we get rid of, and they've done a number on this poor old plant: She's down to just 1 leaf. I'm hoping she'll spring back, but I don't know. Can anyone offer some advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spider plant attacked by mice

Sorry to hear about your spider plant. But if the roots are fine, you just need to put it in a good spot where the mice can't get to it and it should grow back just fine. Where do you have it at the moment? Is it indoors or out? Is it in a hanging pot? If not, maybe you can find a way to hang it from the ceiling, away from anything tall where the mice can crawl or jump into it. If your really desperate, maybe you can put some kind of chicken wire box type thing around it. I'm sure there's several ways to stop mice from getting to it just by being a little creative. I know them mice can be a pain, my aunt has an issue with them too from the area she lives in. You may even want to change the soil in case they've urinated in the soil, I'm sure that can't be healthy for the spider plant.

Can you take a picture of what is left of the plant?

-Carmen

o
RE: Spider plant attacked by mice

I have it up on a tall, slick-sided container on the table it's been living on since we brought it home, in our living room. I'll talk to my mom about getting a hanging pot for it, and maybe hanging it outside for a while. So long as it doesn't have a bad reaction to going from a room constantly lit up to a normal day/night cycle(we keep our living room lights on constantly due to the hours certain family members work). The roots have been in good shape, and I do my best to water all our plants once or twice a week, depending on the weather, and I'll mention the repotting with fresh soil as well!

As for a picture, I'll see what I can do!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here